HybridZ

where to buy L inner tie rod ?

Check with some other people to verify this, but I think you can put a right inner tie rod end on the left side then use a right outer tie rod on both sides. Not positive on this one. I've had my car so long that I'm losing track of the things I've done to survive parts non-availability.

I wound up buying a whole rack. Seems like the rack rebuilders can get a left inner tie rod, but the general public can't?????

Wow-a thank you note on this forum! Thank you in return. I hope it works. I think the rack has right hand threads on both sides where the inner tie rod end screws into it. If I remember correctly, when you install the outer control arm, the grease zerk may be on the opposite side depending on the brand of tie rod ed, and there is a little bend to the outer tie rod that will look a little funny going the wrong way, but it doesn't affect performance. Will you please post your results and try to get the administrators to make a sticky note from it? We all have to deal with this supply problem and with my crazy tires and alignment, I kind of eat front end parts. Keith.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Resurrection!!

I'm looking for a source on the inner tie rods (either one) and i have yet to find any place that lists them, that actually has them. My suspension is apart right now. Is there any way i can check the inners without hooking up the outers?

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I found this link

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=5773.0

That led me to google search

"Rare Parts 26575"

that led me to autozone

inner tie rod

but that's a drivers side. Will it work on both? Perhaps this is referring to a fairlady, RHD model?

Edited by SUNNY Z

Check with some other people to verify this, but I think you can put a right inner tie rod end on the left side then use a right outer tie rod on both sides. Not positive on this one. I've had my car so long that I'm losing track of the things I've done to survive parts non-availability.

I wound up buying a whole rack. Seems like the rack rebuilders can get a left inner tie rod, but the general public can't?????

Just went through this last week on my 76 280Z. As the other guys note, the inner tie rods could bolt up to either side of the rack.

There is a thread on how to disasemble the inner tie rods from the rack, and they are different depending on the year of your S30.

I ended up changing the entire rack as the play was in the steering gear and not in the tie rods as first suspected. Would suggest you check this out before you go through all the work and still end up with steering wheel shimmy after changing all your tie rods.

Good luck!

Just went through this last week on my 76 280Z. As the other guys note, the inner tie rods could bolt up to either side of the rack.

There is a thread on how to disasemble the inner tie rods from the rack, and they are different depending on the year of your S30.

I ended up changing the entire rack as the play was in the steering gear and not in the tie rods as first suspected. Would suggest you check this out before you go through all the work and still end up with steering wheel shimmy after changing all your tie rods.

Good luck!

So you're saying i should take the outers and inners off , and check for play in the rack itself before replacing anything? Makes sense, I just didn't know there was such a possibility for play!?