HybridZ

Long Tube Headers Pictures

I am going to make an attempt to post a few pictures of my long tube headers and Performer RPM (straight plug) heads for BLKMGK and all others who have been asking. Please bear with me if this doesn't work.

47b1d725b3127cce9b5b1ad9775e0000003410

47b1d725b3127cce9b5b1acaf67d0000004410

47b1d725b3127cce9b5b1b32b61d0000003410

47b1d725b3127cce9b5b1b14b63b0000003410

47b1d725b3127cce9b5b1abcf60b0000004410

47b1d725b3127cce9b5b1b11370e0000003410

...I hope this works

Cool, it did! Nothing like bootlegging your very very own pictures off of a "free" photo hosting site icon_mad.gif

As show in the above pictures, the long tube headers really don't look all that different from the block huggers. The biggest difference is that the outer two tubes now run on the outside of the inner most two headers. I had to move a few wire looms around since the tubes now run a little closer to the fender walls. Also, I couldn't get any good pictures of the starter being surrounded by the header. Maybe this exact reason is why I couldn't get a picture icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, the ground clearance isn't as big of an issuse as most people would think. Yes, the collecter falls noticably low... but it's just behind the front wheels that this happens. If the collecters were another foot or two back, I might be a little concerned. I've never had the collectors scrape on anything before (knock on wood). Now that transmission pan however...

If anyone would like the very large original digital pictures, please e-mail me and I will happily send them your way.

-Andy

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: Andrew Bayley ]

Thank You!! Ground clearance really looks much better than I expected. Interesting the way the outside tubes flare out enough to clear the 90 boots on your car but my "made for straight plug heads" headers don't quite make it. I think I'm still going to chicken out and run shorty style haders but those pics really do show how well they can be made to fit! If I were doing my exhaust from scratch again I'd be considering long tubes pretty seriously. Looks good man!

Guest needwaymorespeed

Andy thanks for those pictures ,just looked at my s$s headers and they are definately the same. What starter are you using to clear-still dont have mine in the car yet.

Tha part # on my reciept is 5205 for those headers I had them amgle my collectors down about 5 degrees ,no extra charge so hopefully I wont have to hit my floor boards for clearance. just till them you want the collectors down to match the flange angle.

They cost me $256.25 before shipping

the companys # is 623-847-9000 there in arizona.

Curtis,

I don't remember exactly which starter I'm using, all I remember is that it's the big one! I've had it for about 6 years now and I've never had any problems with heat soak or anything else. $250 sounds about right. I paid a local guy to coat the headers for $100 so total came out to about $350.

-Andy

P.S. Did you ever get that bar installed?

Guest needwaymorespeed

Andy -I installed it onece and now its out again-currently chopping the inside up for a feul cell and some custom mounts for honda prelude seats. The roll bar fit nice in there though cant wait to get it all back together.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

funny Davy, but I would like to know who made Andrew Baily's headers for him. icon_razz.gif

I was think by the post that they were Sanderson. Not sure though. I did not see anything actually stating brand name and model.

jake

Andy, nice work. Did you start with a stubbed flange? what dia. are they? did you ever run any other type? any performance differences (if they were changed from something else)

Guest Anonymous

No disrespect, but didn'ts someone write mails saying the full headers were a PITA? I can't recall who, but it seems I remember someone saying they weren'nt worth the hassle?

Personally I think they look sweet, and ground clearance looks to be no more of a problem than my car with blockhuggers and a 3" pipe crossing under the starter.

Thats my one big dislike so far of the conversion, if the car is lowered at all it begins to have clearance issues.

I blew a collector gasket the other day and it was because the highway workers left a 4" lip on the edge of the road. No problem except my clearance is probably 3 7/8". After what most have been a spark show behind me, it contacted solidly enough to crack and break one of those stupid mr. gasket collector gaskets. icon_mad.gif

Someday this engine comes out of the car and if I have to create a new tunnel, fine, the engine will be raised a bit, or I'll need to go to 16-17" tires with more profile to get it off the ground (currently running 15's with a 55 series profile).

Regards,

Lone

Jake,

the headers are made by S&S, don't worry about the name spelling... it happens all the time.

Luigi,

I bought the headers pre-made from S&S and they are 1 and 3/4 in diameter. Previously, I ran a set of 1 and 5/8 block huggers. Performance difference is minimal. I really don't think anyone will notice a difference until they are in the +500hp region.

Lone,

"...but didn't someone write mails saying the full headers were a PITA?

Yeah, that was me!

I would not recommend this to anyone who thinks they "might" want long tubes. Everything assosciated with these headers becomes ten time more difficult. Forget just unbolting the headers and pulling them out, the engine needs to be lifted up AS the headers come out. Also, collector gaskets are about a zillion time more difficult to replace vs. the old block huggers. The top most bolt on the long tubes is extremely difficult to access. Finally, there is a lot less flexibilty in routing the exhaust. I had to pound out the floors quite a bit and it's still tight. Don't even get me started on starter accessability icon_rolleyes.gif

Bottom line, it's do-able. But to the average steet driver, it's probably not worth the extra effort. If I could do it all over again, I'd invest into a nice coated set of block huggers.

-Andy

(typing really fast, everyone waiting for me to go out to lunch. There's probably a ton of misspelled typo's. Oh well.)

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: Andrew Bayley ]

Guest Anonymous

I am going ot sell my Block huggers and buy the full length headers. I checked out the site and I like what I see. Tight is fine. Anyone need a set of pretty nice coated blockhuggers? 1 5/8" with 2.5" collector. One ding...nothing major. Email for picture. If someone wants them here for $150 thats cool and easy. Otherwise they go to ebay tomorow night.

jake