HybridZ

My 1977 280z project

hello,

I recently decided that i had enough of the ever ending searching for crap parts that dont quench my thirst for performance/coolness/speed, so I finally started collecting parts that i have been drooling over for the better part of two and a half years. i started by buying a turbo exhaust manifold and that lit the fire i needed to start my project. I thought that when i built the n/a flattop/big cam motor i would be satisfied but I wasnt. That and the fact that I have so much drivetrain slop that it rendered the car undriveable at high gear cruising speed pushed me to where I am now.

I will be using this car as a daily driver with the occasional 3 hour drive up to willow springs to get my drift on and as such the theme of the car is gonna be catered towards that.

For suspension I will be sectioning my struts and installing the 3T ground control coilovers and illumian shocks as well as the full energy suspension bushing kit from msa and ill probably throw in some homemade strut braces for good measure.

As far as engine mods I will be running an N/A-T with n42 block/ n42 head/ n42 intake with pallnet fuel rail, diyautotune's SX Performance FPR, walbro gsl392 fuel pump, stock t3 turbo with MSA downpipe and my homemade BANR Performance exhaust (straight 2.5 inch piping all the way back!) i havent desided how much boost ill be running yet but i will be running E85 and i will find out what ill be using for boost control when the wife brings it back from japan (up garage baby!)i also bought an ebay intercooler and piping to intercool this beast. It will all be managed by MS2 with EDIS 6 and a zietronix wideband.

I will be putting the car on a rotisserie to fix the frame rails and aslo to clean the bottom of the car and to fix few rust spots i have. i plan on shaving the rear bumper area (this in my opinion is what makes the s30 so sexy) and if i feel like it at the end of the build get the MSA front airdam and bumper.

Interior will be modest as it was all mostly destroyed by the PO so i just sprung for some new carpet, seat upholstery and i will refurbish the rest of what i have which isnt much. as far as wheels, i havent even thought about it and im having a hard time deciding on fuel injectors. (have the barbed rail and 14mm oring injectors from an SRT8 Magnum that i was gonna use but they dont fit the intake manifold unfortunately....

So without further adieu,

The first day I spent pulling out the engine. my plan was to have the engine torn completely down before the workshop closed for the day but i only got as far as head removal.

engine just pulled, only took 1 1/2 hours!

pic of the soon to be not ugly engine bay. im thinking crinkle spray paint black?

cylinder head after about 100-200 miles (dont know for sure, no dash)

pic of the block

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Images way to large. Please resize before posting.

Ok, so i just finished the second day of the build. Everything went well i suppose. just lots of work to be done.

First thing i did was disassemble the rest of the engine so i could drop it off at the machine shop. no surprises found.

Then i pulled the tranny, easy stuff. I proceeded to remove all of the wiring from the car. it needs to be gone though pretty badly though. it was easier to pull out than i thought it would be. After that i started chipping away at the sound deadening looking for rust. i was lucky so far as i finished the passenger side and only found surface rust. it was raining all day so i decided to play in the garage with the dash. i have my work cut out for me on the dash.

Tomorrow Ill try to finish removing the sound deadening and try to get the suspension stripped and the frame up on blocks.

So day 3 was laborious indeed.

I was supposed to finish stripping the rest of the sound deadening material out but i saw some disturbing pictures of another members car after he removed his front fenders and I thought i would find the same thing. It tunrs out that it was rusty under mine but not unsalvageable.

I am now a little worried about the strength of my rocker panels. They both save a little cancer at each end of them and im afraid that even with new patches they will not be as strong. We will see though.

After I pulled the whole front end of the car off and the front subframe i proceeded to do the same for the rear subframe. I was going to drain the fuel tank and drop it as well but I had nothing to drain the fuel into. Ill find a big pan to drain it on Wednesday when i can work on it some more.

When I drain the fueal and drop the tank on Wednesday Ill finish cleaning up the interior of the car (removing sound aterial and such) and work on patching up the rust I have found. shouldnt be too hard I imagine. I should have the frame clean and mounted on the rotisserie come the weekend so that i can start frame rail repair. YAY!

With all the work on the body still needing to be done Ill have to find time to install the coilovers and build the motor as it will be out of the machine shop soon. the guy works pretty fast. I dropped the block off yesterday and he already had it bored and almost finished with the honing.

Nothing new today really, just attempted to re-upholster my seats but it didnt go too well. I gave it to a shop to do. $360 for the labor plus 150 for the parts equals $510 for the seats. I dont know if thats good or bad but i really thought i could do it cheaper. Oh well, we live and learn.

Tomorrow i start working on the body. My goal is to have the fuel tank drained and dropped and the car up on the rotisserie. Steep goals for the time I have to work on it. ill try to make it happen though!

OK,

I got most of my goals accomplished that I wanted to get done today. I built the rotisserie, drained the tank and dropped it. Then I chipped away some more sound deadening before it got too dark.

While researching limited slip options, I came across this thread, http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/88099-obx-differential-inspection-and-installation/page__p__835955__hl__lbhsbz__fromsearch__1#entry835955

I bought an OBX LSD on the spot. Now I feel I will have the ultimate drift/track car! LSD, coilovers, and a turbo motor. F#%KING SWEET!!!! Im already dreaming about drifting it to the moon.

Really though, im pretty excited to get her done so that i can drive it.

post-10017-010599200 1321507820_thumb.jpg

post-10017-062957600 1321507850_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the lack of pics today, i forget to take them.

I finally got her up on the rotisserie today. Its probably the most badass thing i have ever done besides megasquirt carwise.

I worked on it yesterday too but all I did was finish removing sound deadening material and remove the front window. nothing too much.

Tomorrow I plan to Start the frame rail repair and if I finish that start cleaning everything and patching up the rocker panels.

I should be able to get at least halfway done patching up the rust, then I can worry about shaving the rear bumper area. I wont be able to finish it till the car comes off the rotisserie as I am using the bumper shocks to hold her up right now. I Have lots of cleaning to do!!!!

Today went very well I think except that I had to stop early due to rain and my welder runnig out of wire. I almost finished repairing one of the frame rails. What I did was bend up some sheet metal into a new frame, cut the old rust off the original and placed my new rail on as a cap. It turned out very good except the welds look ugly, but hey they will hold. Its my first time doing anything like this. It is alittle outside my comfort zone, but then again, if I didnt want to learn then I shouldnt be working on classics. Thinking back on it, I wish that I had done this to both sides but my other rail was completely gone. I figure that now i have a good flat surface to lay the frame rail on the other side.

Since I wont be able to work on the car again till Wednesday, I will install the OBX HLSD in my spare 3.54 diff in the garage. I wish that my tokico illuminas would just show up so I can start getting the suspension ready to go back on. I say that by the weekend I should be able to reinstall the rear and front subframes. It shouldnt take long to change out bushings, do the spindle pins, weld up the new strut tubes for the coilovers and paint it all up. I plan two to three days for all that. then i can reinstall the glass, carpet, seats, and dash (if I ever finish the dash).

P.S.

Dont judge my frame rail work by the pics, i didnt take pics of them finished up. From the pics they look to be big but I made them fit.

I also got my OBX lsd in the mail yesterday as well as my rbryant washer/bolt kit. I installed them and snapped some pics. any questions, let me know.

Last night I disassembled my spare 3.54 R200 to take the carrier to work to pull and press the bearings to the OBX unit and install and torque the ring gear. I used the old bearings on the OBX unit so hopefully they are still good. I will reinstall the carrier into the differential case sometime this week. hopefully I wont need to shim it because I dont feel like hunting for shims.

My tokico Illuminas finally got shipped in the mail today. I was worried they wouldnt show up as i ordered them like three weeks ago. Im super excited to start modifying the struts for the coil over conversion. When they show up, I will officially have all the parts I oredered for this build. I did a tally up for the parts and it broke $4000. I havent even got the machine shop bill yet. Yikes!

I also had the pleasure of modifying my N42 intake to accept 14mm o-ring style injectors from an SRT-8 Magnum. They supposedly flow 34.5 LBs @ 59 PSI It looks good but fuel pressure will tell the true story. Ill be modifying my Pallnet barbed fuel rail to match the intake.

Tomorrow I will bend up the other frame rail out of sheet metal and weld it up. after I finish the rails I can focus on the small patches and when I finish modifying the strut tubes for the coilovers I can set her back down on the ground and start building the motor and wiring it up. I have alot to do for the motor that I dont need to do for an N/A setup. Run intercooler piping, mount the intercooler, mount the oil cooler, run the oil lines for the turbo, run the oil lines for the oil cooler, mounting the new RRFPR, blah blah blah....

I will try to give myself one week for engine build/wiring, one week for the suspension, and one week for patching/body work/paint. Hopefully I can hold myself to this schedule.

Please Resize Images to: 1024 x 579 pixels or close, before placing on HZ. If you upload them at http://www.picresize.com/ or http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm there is an option to resize them right on the website. Thank You!

• 2 weeks later...

hello all, i wont be continuing my build thread on this website anymore. apparently my pictures are too big and i dont feel like dealing with the moderator as he is more trouble than posting here is worth. ill leech info from here but i will keep my posting here to bare minimum. thanks for reading, and i hope my pics helped at least one person before rb26powered74zcar deemed it "appropriate" to delete my hard work.

With all this progress it's sad to not see the pics. I understand the reason to be disgruntled. The rules are set for a reason and following them is a requirement.

Please leave a link to pics or a new build thread. You have done more in a week than I have in a year!

Yea don't get discouraged. Just Re size the pics. This is the Best Darn Z forum out there.That's why there are the rules that are here now. They just don't wanna clog the site with Huge pics When They could save that space for Knowledge and all the other good things every one has to offer. Your build was going pretty well by the way . You were on top of it. Just re size them so we can all continue to Enjoy the Read. Good luck with your build also.

• 2 weeks later...