HybridZ

Using stock 240Z tach with an SR

logr

I could not find anyone that has actually used a stock type tach with an SR. Does anyone know if it is possible. Wheelman used a 280Z one for his LT but I don't know if the SR output is the same. I have been considering using an MSD box to fake the signal which would probably make the 240Z tach move but 4cyl versus 6cyl seems like it would be a problem.

Any ideas?

Brian Laine sells a box that will convert your 4 cylinder tach signal to the Datsun 6 set up. It's a quality piece and he is great to work with. I bought one from him for my Ford 5.0 conversion that I'm working on right now. He has some posts here under the Ford V8 forum.

Here is his link:

http://www.technoversions.com/

It seems the adaptor will work fine if I have a distributor, which I don't. Ken(Wheelman) thinks there is a good chance a 280Z tach will work and it is adjustable which might take care of the 4 vs 6 cyl problem. I'm thinking a box for a fake coil output and the 280Z tach has a good chance of working. I will keep you posted.

Am ordering the diff mount.

• 1 month later...

OK, It's official, a 280Z tach will work with an SR.

What I did.

I wired in an MSD tach adapter box using the red/blue wire that goes to the coil packs.

I used a 280Z tach and wired it to the MSD box(temporarily out of the dash so I can adjust it)

I temporarily wired in an SR stock tach for comparison.

Fired it up and matched the tachs at 3500 rpm using the tunable pot on the back of the tach.

It is almost perfect from idle to red line, hardly any variance between tachs.

I then took both tachs out of the housings and swapped them so it will all bolt in and look completely stock.

I tried the 240Z tach but it is not the same and won't work. It has the adjustable pot but doesn't have a good signal hook up.

Thanks to Wheelman for the idea.

Edited by logr

• 6 months later...

This is for all you people(like me) that want the inside to look stock so your opponents won't know something is not quite right until you give them a hard lesson on picking on smaller/older cars.

Thought I would mention this will work exactly the same for a KADE. I would guess it will work for a KAE but the tach signals are different so I really have no idea. Then again why would anyone put in a KA single cam when they could have twice as many?

2.....2.....2 cams in one. Sing it to the Doublemint ad song, the one where they had all the cute twins. Dang, how long has it been since they ran that ad. Sorry, age showing.