HybridZ

Can anyone recommend a salvage yard in the Seattle area with experience in shipping to Alaska?

I've been trolling around for a LS1 or a LS6 preferably accompanied with a T56 transmission. There are deals to be found via Craiglist or the LS1tech forums but unfortunately I live in Alaska. This makes examining the engines in person pretty difficult and I don't really want to risk spending $5k on something site unseen. I also don't want to spend $800 on a plane ticket just to come back empty handed.

I can arrange for a barging company to ship palletized stuff up here for what is "affordable" by local standards but I would need to go through a salvage yard that has more flexible shipping arrangements other than FedEx or UPS. (This pretty much kills eBay as an option for me).

Can anyone recommend a reputable salvage yard in the Seattle area that has experience shipping stuff via barge lines? Because I can't look things over myself I would feel a bit better about spending all that money if there is at least some guarantee I'm actually getting what I paid for. (A warranty of some kind would be lovely.)

I'm also not at all adverse to the idea of taking the ferry down to Bellingham and trolling around there. Does anyone in the Bellingham/Blaine area care to recommend a quality salvage yard?

Suggestions welcome.

• 2 weeks later...