HybridZ

Fel pro head gasket, opinions needed

I have a stock l24 240z engine and i bought a head gasket set for my motor.

The fel pro head gasket fits good except for the coolant ports for the head are about half way covered up on all of them. I personally dont think this is alright but what do you guys think? What other head gaskets would you guys prefer?

IMG_9844.jpg

IMG_9843.jpg

Look at the head casting number on the passenger's side of the head. Should be a letter followed by two numbers, ie. e31, e88, n42, p79, p90, etc.

All of the heads from 71-83 USDM Z cars will bolt on to any of the blocks, so it's possible that you have a head other than what originally came on the car (e88). When ordering a head gasket it is matched to the head so all of the coolant ports line up.

I don't know how bad the misalignment can be for all of the mismatches, so it's possible that this is the case, or it could just be a poor fitting gasket. I do know that some of the mismatches between heads and headgaskets completely covers some of the coolant ports.

Edited by cockerstar

On the head it says e88. I think its the gasket,its either a bad cut out or fel pro might want to remeasure those coolant passages on the gasket to fit better.

when i get the head cleaned up i will test fit the gasket to the head and see how well it aligns. My guess is that it will most likely aling right to the head and not the block. They either made the gasket purposely like this or its a overlooked flaw.

Edited by disepyon