HybridZ

1982 280zx turbo auto to manual swap

ANDREW280

Hi new to the forum,

Me and my dad are currently working on our 1982 datsun 280zx turbo and the time has come to swap out trannys. My dad had planned on doing this long ago so in preparation he bought a brand new borg warner t5 from nissan in 1984 he also got a peddel box and clutch master cylinder. My question is what exactly has to be doen for this swap i know something has to be done for the drive shaft and the diff? I have been searching around and cannot find clear instructions on what needs to be done, so if someone can please tell me what has to be done for the swap it would be much appreciated.

-Andrew

Never seen a T5. My 82 was auto and NA when I bought it, swapped it manual the year I got it, and swapped it L28ET a few years later but the engine came out of an auto so I used my 83 5 speed.

I would imagine the transmission end of the driveshaft is very different on the BW. Would assume you need a driveshaft for the manual 280ZXT.

Would also have to put on the clutch master on the fire wall, hang the pedal assembly, and run the clutch line that from the master to the slave cylinder at the trans. Would also need a flywheel and clutch, as well as the bushing on the inside of the crankshaft.

Hope I got all that right and didn't leave anything out, it was awhile ago last I did it. There is another similar topic farther down the first page with some info as well.

Edited by KnightoftheRound

FYI, the bushing on the end of the crank in a auto tranny Z needs to be removed when swapping in a manual tranny. Also, don't forget to permanently connect the Park/Neutral switch wiring or your Z won't start. You may consider swapping in an ECU from an 82 or 83 manual 280zxt. The auto ECU will work work with the manual tranny, but there is at least one difference that I noticed. The auto ECU drops RPM's faster then the manual ECU. The manual ECU holds the revs up a bit longer to facilitate shifting. If you do swap in a manual ECU, make sure its from an 82 or 83 280zxt. The 81 280zxt's were all auto and do not have the injector dropping resistors in the ECU like the later years.