HybridZ

240z Distributor help

I need help figuring out the distributor. I have a 1972 240z stock motor (head and block). This is the first time ive owned a car with a distributor so im not too familiar with them.

Is this the right numbering for the wires? I numbered it this way based on the firing order givin in the manual. I did not change any of the wires, so this is how the previous owner left it.

IMG_0066.jpg

Also to confirm, this is the right firing sequence?

IMG_0060.jpg

Is this the adjustment i use when timing with the light?

IMG_0065.jpg

Or is this the adjustment and if not what is this used for?

IMG_0062.jpg

I need help figuring out the distributor. I have a 1972 240z stock motor (head and block). This is the first time ive owned a car with a distributor so im not too familiar with them.

Is this the right numbering for the wires? I numbered it this way based on the firing order givin in the manual. I did not change any of the wires, so this is how the previous owner left it.

IMG_0066.jpg

Also to confirm, this is the right firing sequence?

IMG_0060.jpg

You have the firing order and the cylinder numbering in the opposite places. The cylinders are number sequentialy 1 through 6 starting in the front of the engine. The wires at the distributor are in the order of the firing order: 1-5-3-6-2-4.

Is this the adjustment i use when timing with the light?

IMG_0065.jpg

Yes.

Or is this the adjustment and if not what is this used for?

IMG_0062.jpg

This is a coarse adjustment. You only change this if the other runs out of adjustment range.

Well i have bad news, I got the motor in the car and running today but i cant seem to bring the timing to the 5 degree mark. with both of the adjustments on the distributor turned all the way i can only get to the 20 or 25 degree timing mark, the one furthest from 0 mark. Whats my problem? Before i pulled the motor to work on it, i checked the timing and it was at the 5 degree mark, so it was working before. My mechanical timing is right.

Some pics showing my timing. Just took these.

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

I have the light hooked up to number one cylinder.

IMG_0238.jpg

The previous owners put this ignition box thing in. I made sure i have it wired in right, i took pics before i removed it so i could see how it looks when to install.

IMG_0239.jpg

Edited by disepyon

Perhaps the oil pump drive gear is off a tooth. This would cause the problem you describe. What work did you do to the engine? If you had the oil pump out then you might have put it back in one tooth off.

yes i did take the oil pump off. I just pulled the motor to clean it up and replace gaskets. I will pull the pump off again tomorrow and move it over one tooth and see what happens.