HybridZ

what's the top speed supposed to be?

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

i was cruising out on the highway the other day and got this bad boy up to 110 mph....isn't it supposed to be able to go A LOT faster than that? part of me felt that the car wouldn't be able to take it, and another part felt like the engine wouldn't be able to. 4th gear topped out 95-100 mph, shouldn't 4th gear go for longer? i wonder if something else is wrong now.....thanks.

Dan, it's just like BLKMGK said: it's mostly about gearing--that includes the tranny and the rear end...and even the diameter of the tires!! The combination of these things usually determines the top speed of a V8Z. If your car runs really fast 0-60 mph, it may only top out at 100 mph with low gearing. That's not totally bad since a Z is not very aerodynamic and gets scary (squirrely) at speeds over 125 mph anyway.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

i know i shouldn't be saying this but here goes, my first zx i owned origanally had the speedo that pegged out at 85 but my parts car had one that didn't peg out till 145 so i swapped it to my driving car. i pegged it and then some icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gif i'm not sure how much over i was going but i know i gained a least a extra 500-800 rpms after pegging the speedo and then i brought it down for safety sake. bad i know but i was wondering what the limit of my motor was. this was stock (as far as i know, but that motor was pretty damn strong) the only thing i did to it was mobil 1 full sythetic oils, a aftermarket coil, and that ZMAX engine treatment stuff. this was done on a nice LOOONG strip of straight as a arrow nevada highway. i estimate it to be around the 150-155 MPH range.

Guest Anonymous

My first Z was a 240. It had an areo kit and was slammed to the ground. The motor was out of a 280. It had some mild work done to it, mostly head work. On top of it I ran webbers. It had no problem pulling up to 140+. I used to fly at 120-130 rock solid when ever I pleased. By the way what is the top speed for a Z from our site? (note: at speeds over 130 do not turn on the wipers!)

You got a problem if your Z topped out at 110. Even if it had a 4.11 rear end, which it doesn't, it should go a lot faster. Maybe a 350 turbo transmission, a 4.11 rear end, and 13 inch low profile tires with a dead 350 that redlines at 4500 rpm? If these aren't your specs, something is wrong. Have you ever thought that your speedo may not be accurate since you changed everything?

Guest kc6wfs

Ya something is wrong.

Even my Z before I converted it would peg the spedo at 160. Now it just does it a whole lot quicker. It's probably more like 140 or so.

I have not been on here much latly, what is your set up?

Dave