HybridZ

v8???????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

im thinking of sticking a mustang 5 liter probably after 84. i have not bought the engine yet because i wondering if it will even fit in my 85 300zx turbo. i was also thinking with going with a t5 tranny. would that fit as well?

KamakaZZi,

I do not want to discourage anyone from doing an engine swap, especially if it's your dream to do one. So, let's take a brief look at what you are about to do:

1) you are about to perform an engine swap from an American vehicle to a Japanese one. You must ask yourself if you have the time, money, and expertise to do it. Why? The swap you are contemplating has not, to my knowledge, been documented anywhere. Unless you are very good at fabricating you must have the money to pay someone to do it. Swaps are very expensive (typically) if you pay someone else to do it. Shops around here charge at least $70-$100/hr to do custom work.

2) Have you purchased and read (at least twice) the JTR book? This book is invaluable to put things in the proper perspective and forewarn you of the difficulties involved. This book documents the Chevy V8 swap for the 240/260/280Z's only, but it is a must read.

3) You will need to gather information on dimensions of the engine you are using, the dimensions of the car and its engine bay, the electrics and how the are compatible, the cooling system, its adequacy, if it will fit, etc.. This is not an easy task due to a lack of a "kit" or printed material.

Please realize that you are asking an open ended question on a subject that has many dimensions and categories. Most of us have done 1-2 swaps, maybe more, but mostly with the 1st generation Z's--there are kits, manuals, information, and people available. Ask yourself: Am I prepared to blaze the way for a new swap? Mega time and bucks in my opinion. Too many headaches for me. Maybe you are a mechanic, or an engineer, or wealthy. Cool! Go for it! Otherwise, get a Z that they make a kit for and go from there. It will save you from abandoning the heap in the middle of the project (no lost time, money, or embarrassment).

Please understand me, I AM NOT TRYING TO DISCOURAGE YOU! If this is your dream, forge ahead! And this is a very good place to ask questions. The pool of knowledge (an opinions) here in this forum is huge and friendly too. Before you leap, take a good look first. The research you do will help! smile.gif

With all due respect,

David

Here are some tips that may help you to see if this will work and how well it will fit. I made a jig using square steel tubing (or 2x4's cut down) to represent the Z frame rails. Then I bolted the crossmember and swaybar onto the two rails, and a fake firewall on the back.I made this simple and light jig in one afternoon. Then I took an empty block (only about 120lbs) and positioned it in reference to the jig to see what and where the mounts would go, check for header or exhaust manifold clearance, oil filter, and check oil pan clearance. You will find out real fast if it will work. You may then want to detail the jig a bit by representing a steering arm, sway bar and any other obstructions that may cause problems. You will find this will simplify the headaches and midnight screaming (neighbors arn't too crazy about that one) by letting you get a good idea of potential problems before you get too envolved in the job. I actually had all the parts built to install the motor before I actually pulled the six out.

Terry Oxandale

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I have been reading the HybridZ forums for some time now. Since I finally have something to offer that might help I thought it as good a time as any to post.

Check out this site, it's a SBC but it might help: http://www.bomgarden.com/350zxnew/

By the way Terry, the mock up is an excellent idea. Also, our car is beautiful.