HybridZ

Nissan T5 with Ford motor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm planning out a project to install a Ford 302/5.0 motor into my 240.

I already have a Nissan/BW T5 from a 280ZX in the car.

I know I'll have to change the bellhousing, but does anyone know if the pilot bushing and main shaft length will allow the T5 to mate up to a Ford crankshaft?

Guest Anonymous

I havn't physically seen the Nissan T-5, it may physically fit the bellhousing, but I'd worry about the torque rating of the transmission. I've done a little research on T-5's as I'm planning to go with a Ford swap in the next month or so. I believe there are different versions with smaller torque capacities (like the S10 for example). The later model V8 models with the World Class mods are the ones that are preferable I'm told. They are rated at about (I'm remembering off hand here) 330ft/lb of torque, or about what the stock 302 puts out. It has and probably will handle more if its not rough housed (full throttle speed shifts are probably not advisable), but will survive if treated reasonably. Perhaps someone else can address if the Nissan tranny will physically fit and know its torque ratings. FWIW.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

The Datsun Z Garage guy, yep that's me.

the reason I want to keep my Nissan T5 is money.

I would rather drop in a motor, without having to spend $$ on a new trans.

This T5 may not be perfect, but unless I do 5,000rpm burnouts, I have a feeling it'll be ok on the street.

I love the challenge of an unknown project too...

OK, as a Mustang AND Z guy, i can tell you 2 very important things. In order to make the Nissan-spec T-5 work, you will need to not only change the bellhousing, but the input shaft as well. Make sure it's a 10-spline, also. but the main thing is that the torque rating on the pre-'86 T-5's (for Fords, anyway) is about 235-240lbs. Even with a stock 302 (275-285 ft/lbs) it would rip through it quick, since the Z T-5's don't even have the torque capacity the Ford ones do. I found a few T-5's on www.corral.net that were between $300-$500 complete, and you may wind up spending more trying to convert the one you have. And it would last longer. Go to: http://zcar.netdojo.com/t_5.html and check out the torque ratings of the Ford trannys. Kind of suprising!

Al

------------------

http://zcar.netdojo.com

[This message has been edited by alsil (edited January 23, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by alsil (edited January 23, 2001).]

There were a lot of WC T-5's used on sub 10 sec mustangs that would hold up all season. The unbelieveable stress on these hole shots, and having them survive was what convinced me to use one in my Z. I only road raced it, but it has caused no trouble.

Terry Oxandale

Heg, yeah but I've seen TONS of those "WC T5's" show up in pieces at my friend's shop. It's incredible what a punk squirrel kid can do to a T5 in short order. the T5s like Bob Hanlon drove were hand built and FAR from what you'd find coming of the SVO loading dock. At least the Z is lighter than the Mustang - that at least should help the life of the trans!

Actually, a lighter car is tougher on a tranny, because there is not as much cushion. The car does not flex as much, therefore the tranny takes more of a beating. Well, at any rate, I would use as strong of parts as possible, unless of course you own a tranny shop. T-5's of any year are not exactly strong, but some can keep up. All int he way you use them. If you are rough and sudden with your shifts, the tranny will be eaten up. If you are smooth, it will last longer.

------------------

http://zcar.netdojo.com

I felt confident in the WC T-5, but at one time thought about using the old (and heavy) "top loader" in it (read "bulletproof"). But I knew my suspension set-up allowed little to no hook-up, the light weight of the car, the modest output of my 302, and of course skilled shifting, would most likely allow a long and fruitfull life for the T-5.

Terry

considering that towing requires tougher transmissions than just cruising, i'd say that a lighter vehicle is easier on a transmission. first, the car accelerates faster, which decreases the difference in torque end to end of the transmission (i hope that makes sense, it's 8am), and second, hey, you get out of the short gears faster, which, from what i understand, are weaker.