HybridZ

Need Help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a few questions, First, on an 88 5.0, how much horsepower would I lose switching it to a carb? Also I know nothing about this dry sump, Do I need it? Cant I keep the oil pan? I was thinking of going chevy but I like the 5.0 motor but I dont know much about the Ford swap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Tony

IMHO if the carb set-up is done right, you will not notice any difference in performance. It may not be as versatile, so you will want to know what characteristics you desire (horsepower vs torque), but if you have all these perameters figured out, and you pick the appropriate carb, then this set-up should work as well for this particualar range. I think most of the Ford guys will recommend a rear sump pan (used on the later model vehicles) because of crossmember interference. I personally used a front sump, but I built my crossmember with more room just ahead of the pan. Note: The rear sump pans do also have a small sump in the front to cover the oil pump, so it's not a traditional rear sump pan, but kind'a double-humped instead. A dry sump would be super nice, and I can't imagine anyone not wanting one, but they are quite expensive, and require additional work to install tank, hose, etc.

Terry