HybridZ

Wastegate Actuator Dimensions

Neveragain55

Ok Gang,

I’m getting ready to finally get the last part for my turbo that will complete the rebuild which is the wastegate actuator.

I’ve seen all the ones on eBay, Treadstone, and ATP Turbo and I know what dimensions & type I need.

The problem is admittedly, I’m not very astute with the whole “PSI†thing.

Meaning the original actuator was a 45º - 6 ¾ in length – 6.3mm hole - 7 psi unit. Everything I’ve seen has two or three of the requirements I’ve just listed but not all four.

I need an actuator that has the 45º angle in relation to the mounting bolts – I need for the actual arm to be at least 6 ¾ inch in length – I need the hole at the end of that arm to have a hole diameter of 6.3mm – and I need for it to be a 7psi unit.

Here’s where I’m fuzzy, I keep seeing actuators that are advertised as: “crack†at 7 psi and fully open at 10, 15 or 18 psi.

Or I’ll see units that say they “crack†at 3 psi and fully open at 7, 10, or 15 psi.

What the heck does all that mean, and if I got one of the units that doesn’t fully open until it reaches 10 or 15 psi would that hurt my turbo? (being that the actuator that came off of it was a 7 psi unit)

As always, thanks in advance…..

What turbo are you using is my first question?. If stock, see if you can find a stock actuator.

Some of the adjustable actuator arm wastegates, would probably work for you, from how your explaining your setup. The rod adjusts so the actuator opens sooner or later.

This particular turbo is the original one that came with the car back in 1982.

It's your typical stock Nissan/Garrett Airesearch T3.

I've seen the adjustable actuator arms as well and they would help me in terms of "length"

But I do still not understand how the different "PSI" ratings affect everything and if it's safe to use a higher PSI rated actuator.