HybridZ

5.0 question

Guest Anonymous

Guest JAMIE T

85 was a good engine for the mustang, especially for a conversion like this. It was the last year for a carburator, and the first year for the roller cam. I think horsepower was in the 215hp range. 10 less than the 87 stang engine. Stay away from 85 automatic mustangs, they have flat tappet cams and a TBI style fuel injection, and is not very tunable. You should also stay away from 86 engines (205hp) becuase they don't have any valve reliefs in the pistons, so you can't install a cam larger than stock. They also have poor cylinder heads. An Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and a Holley 650 doublepumper should pump the power up past the FI engines pretty easily. Grab the Duraspark ignition box off the car as well, it works the distributers electronic ignition. To put a carburator on an FI engine requires a distributer that uses a regular ignition (electronic or points) not the TFI that is used on the FI engine. Now the tricky part, you also need a distributer cam gear for the hydrualic roller cam. The 85 disributer has both of these features.

Good Luck,

Jamie

Aww c'mon - didn't I just see this below and answer it? Some of us read the old postings first and work our way up - if it's not answered instantly reposting doesn't help. Can moderators please delete dupes whenif this happens? I feel like an idiot for not seeing the dupe and responding in the thread everyone ignored - they're seperated by a bunch of other posts.

Jamie nailed it pretty good but I'm pretty sure the HP for 85 was "only" 210. DO stay away from the 86 as not only did it have funky pistons but it also had CRAPPY heads that were a one year experiment. Oh, and 85 had the quasi dual exhaust I believe so there's likely extra power to be had with good exhaust. 86 was rated 205 but with 300ftlbs or so smile.gif 87 was back up to 225 all the way till at least 93 but Ford did some sneaky things under the covers in some of those years so don't take it as gospel.