HybridZ

Gen 1 chevy centrifugal setups

So paxton makes their race drive unit, but it looks like it takes up a foot in front of the engine. I saw that novi-1000 and 2000 come in reverse rotation setups for the mustangs but did not see anything for the chevy. Does anyone know of any "systems" or manufacturer offered setups that run reverse rotation to be mounted in fron of engine? I would prefer to run a centrifugal as opposed to setting up a turbo setup, but am starting to find that it may be cost prohibitive with current offerings.

Before I got my turbos I researched centrifugal supercharges for the Z. Vortech and Paxton were offering reverse rotation chargers for corvettes. I was planning to buy one when a friend gave me two turbos.....the rest is history. Darius, on this site uses one but I'm not sure if it is reverse rotation.

Hi Emeraldlion,

I'm in the process of installing a Vortech V1-T trim SC on my 383 first gen block. Im using an older universal carb kit for the SBC that I bought from a friend. I had to make a new alternator and A/C bracket to relocate the a/c from the driver side to the passenger side.

As well as modify the bracket by drilling new mounting holes to lower the SC and rotate/reclock the supercharge outlet from the top to the bottom to clear the inner wheel well. I'm still in the fabrication stage of plumbing the carb to the SC.

Im finding it difficult to fit everything under the hood. I'll be changing and or modifying the carb box to try to get it to fit. I've included some pictures.

post-194-078207600 1328557556_thumb.jpg

post-194-074424700 1328557640_thumb.jpg

post-194-021904000 1328557765_thumb.jpg

Edited by fastzcars

I had a feeling that the side mount would take a bit of fab fastz. That is why I was hoping to run a front mount system. They make stand alone gear sets that allow your to run a unit in reverse but the gearsets alone are around 3000 bucks. There are pre-kits for mustangs to run reverse rotation units that mount the blowe unit in front of engine and it is driven with accessory belt. Your setup is looking very nice though. Best of luck in trying to get everything under the hood.

Edited by emeraldlion

• 3 months later...

Just a last update on the Supercharger install. It was alot of work, but I got it to al fit under the hood folks! I'll be hooking up a meth injection setup in a couple of weeks and start the tuning process after that. :rolleyes: wish me luck guys!

post-194-071668000 1336576089_thumb.jpg

Edited by fastzcars

Turned out to be a pretty sweet setup fast! I really like the look overall, gives me a little hope for later down the road. Obviously had a custom carb hat made, do you think one of the spectre performance hats would have cleared? Also just to clarify you DID use the stock vortech mount but changed some of the holes in the mount?

Emerald, I did redrilled the stock steel bracket and made some new standoff's out of some aluminum round heavy walled tubing stock. FYI the carb hat is a spectre part. but I fear that it's too thin for blower use. I have to try to copy it out of thicker 1/8 to 3/16 stock. The Carb hat is only 2 1/4 inches tall. I had just shy of 1 inch clearence under the hood.

The Carb hat is only 2 1/4 inches tall. I had just shy of 1 inch clearence under the hood.

It looks great!!!

Make sure there are no sharp corners on the new HAT close to the hood.

When I did my wheelstand, and the frontend came down the corners of the hat dinged my hood. The corners are now ground down and smoothed.

Hi Turbo Meister,

Thanks so much for the suggestion I'll keep that in mind! I hope to make enough to "Hang the hoops" :) One question i do have for you. How thick is the material you used for your carb box/hat? I remember one time in Irwindale that your car had a hickup and damaged the box? Did you ever find out what had happened? and what did you do to eliminate and or reduce the potinial damage again? I seem to also remember that you made a clear plexi box?

Edited by fastzcars

How thick is the material you used for your carb box/hat? I remember one time in Irwindale that your car had a hickup and damaged the box? Did you ever find out what had happened? and what did you do to eliminate and or reduce the potinial damage again? I seem to also remember that you made a clear plexi box?

The box was made out of 3/16 Aluminum as is the Hat that I currently use. The engine had a lean misfire and blew out the welds. The solution to the tuning problem was using a carb with Boost Referenced Power Valves. I liked the plexi box because it didn't need to be welded; the top, bottom, and sides were simply glued and screwed together. But, it was big and required much unscrewing to get to the carb. There are still Pics of it in my Gallery.

Did you use a carb service to modify or did you buy a new carb? How much was it? and why did you go that route?

Kevin at CSU modified my Proform 750 carb for $400. That included the installation of Annular Boosters, BRPV's, Shaft sealing, internal passages enlargement, and other modifications that I could not do myself.

My modifications, previously, only permitted lower boost settings. With the CSU carb I now safely run 25 psi boost. That resulted in my 9.08 / 153 mph run at Fontana last year.

• 1 month later...

Hi Turbo Meister im looking to do the same swap to my 71 240z can you help me out by letting me know what i all need. At the moment i have a 383 stroker and i put it on hold to finish the build. Can you lend me a hand at this. Im new to all this

Thanks

Tom