HybridZ

Engine Build Parts List

Wesley

I am building a High compression N/A motor expecting roughly 230-250hp to the flywheel with specs as follows.

1978 280z

N42 Head Ported and Polished

N42 Block with Flat Top Pistons

Schneider Stage 2 Camshaft

A Lonewolf custom manifold/stock manifold.

MegaSquirt-II Engine Management System w/PCB3

MSD 6a 6200

PS40 Coil

83 280zx Distributor

Built in Map sensor

240sx 60mm Throttle Body and TPS sensor

Lonewolf Fuel Rail with 14mm O ring seats

LC-1 Wideband O2 sensor

CLT

IAT

Injectors 32lb???

My goal is to drive the spark and manage fuel systems with the MS.

I am literally lost amongst all the information some straight forward answers would really help me out as most of the articles are for turbo applications. I am very new to wiring and most of this confuses me.

1.Do I have everything I need regarding the MS setup?? I just need (ECU, 02,TPS,Map,CLT,IAT,Harness,MSD)

This is an article I found regarding the MSD wiring. Can I use it with the wiring diagram from the MS guide on this website?

Does the MSD ignition replace the GM HEI 4 pin in the 2nd diagram?

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/msd6a.htm

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=23244

2.Has anyone used the Lonewolf manifold with a Megasquirt setup? i.e. putting all the sensors in it etc. If it is easier with the stock manifold I might go that route. (I will probably call Lonewolf since it is there product.)

The only sensor I need in the manifold is the IAT and a Vacuum line for the built in Map correct?

3.Can all of the stock gauges be used?

4.Can or should the stock CLT be used?

5.I was looking for 32lb injectors I was told that the Ford Thunder Bird Super Coupe would have them but I guess they have 28lb and 36lb I am just lost.

I am basically asking what Injectors should I use with a 14mm O ring nothing fancy or over the top?\

6.How does valve clearance do with the Flat top/cam setup?

7.Theoretically once it is all wired correctly I just have to create the maps?

8. With the 83 Distributor the CAS is built in but is this the best option for the MS build? What other possibilities are there within a 300$ price range?

My goal is to drive the spark and manage fuel systems with the MS.

I am literally lost amongst all the information some straight forward answers would really help me out as most of the articles are for turbo applications. I am very new to wiring and most of this confuses me.

1.Do I have everything I need regarding the MS setup?? I just need (ECU, 02,TPS,Map,CLT,IAT,Harness,MSD)

This is an article I found regarding the MSD wiring. Can I use it with the wiring diagram from the MS guide on this website?

Does the MSD ignition replace the GM HEI 4 pin in the 2nd diagram?

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/msd6a.htm

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=23244

2.Has anyone used the Lonewolf manifold with a Megasquirt setup? i.e. putting all the sensors in it etc. If it is easier with the stock manifold I might go that route. (I will probably call Lonewolf since it is there product.)

The only sensor I need in the manifold is the IAT and a Vacuum line for the built in Map correct?

It's easier with the stock manifold, but you can tap for all your sensors.

3.Can all of the stock gauges be used?

yes

4.Can or should the stock CLT be used?

It can be used and is, successfully.

5.I was looking for 32lb injectors I was told that the Ford Thunder Bird Super Coupe would have them but I guess they have 28lb and 36lb I am just lost.

I am basically asking what Injectors should I use with a 14mm O ring nothing fancy or over the top?

6.How does valve clearance do with the Flat top/cam setup?

7.Theoretically once it is all wired correctly I just have to create the maps?

You can take a map from someone else with a similar build to start you off, then fine tune from there.

8. With the 83 Distributor the CAS is built in but is this the best option for the MS build? What other possibilities are there within a 300$ price range?

For running your spark, yes. Or if you want, you can use the ford EDIS system.. well under 300 bucks (probably 100)

Thank you You cleared a lot of things up for me.

I still do not understand how to wire the entire setup?

For the Injectors I have found that I need 14mm O ring type flowing at roughly 32lb. I would think Low Impedance injectors would be preferable. Any suggestions? I can only seem to find High Impedance Injectors.

Thank you You cleared a lot of things up for me.

I still do not understand how to wire the entire setup?

For the Injectors I have found that I need 14mm O ring type flowing at roughly 32lb. I would think Low Impedance injectors would be preferable. Any suggestions? I can only seem to find High Impedance Injectors.

Not sure bud, I'm going to be using the 440cc injectors out of a 7mgte.. they are cheap too.

Also, with those HP goals? Why not turbo?

Edited by 78zstyle

Wesley,

I am building a very similar build. I have literally spent 6 months reading this and other websites trying to get answers that you pretty much hit in a single post.

N42 Block

N42 Head

N42/P82 Intake manifold since they're both non-egr. I am leaning towards a n42 but I am having issues finding one.

MSA Stage II cam kit

MSA 6-1 Header (Jet Hot)

MSA exhaust system

All ARP Hardware

Dished pistons (I may want to run a turbo one day)

Everything either ceramic coated or nitride treated, glyptal painted inside the bottom of the block

Megasquirt III

Single wideband oxygen sensor

8' wiring leads made into a custom harness (make this myself)

Coil packs for each spark plug. MS version, the are similar to the Truck packs

120amp Alternator

I would really like to know if I can just buy the CAS turbo dizzy (83 turbo) and run the DIYautotune Trigger wheel versus buying the crank trigger

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/102891-whod-be-interested-if-we-made-a-l28et-trigger-wheel/page__p__963151__hl__%2Bcrank+%2Bwheel__fromsearch__1#entry963151

Pete

I would really like to know if I can just buy the CAS turbo dizzy (83 turbo) and run the DIYautotune Trigger wheel versus buying the crank trigger

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/102891-whod-be-interested-if-we-made-a-l28et-trigger-wheel/page__p__963151__hl__%2Bcrank+%2Bwheel__fromsearch__1#entry963151

Pete

Yep.