HybridZ

Master and slave cylinder DATSUN 2 MUSTANG

Guest firebern

Well, maybe I can help you out on all your questions:

The clutch setup with the Tilton MC and the Neal Pulling slave cost me less than $200 total. Found the slave for $60 and the MC for $70. The bradied hose was $15. That was it. You have to thread the stock Z clevis for fine thread (I can get you the exact thread if you want), otherwise it's easy. I have used it for almost a month. Very solid feel, very nice!

As far as the engine mounts, check out the one I made: http://zcar.netdojo.com/pics/motormountdrawing.jpg

it's the easiest way I have seen. Terry's plates work great, too, just another option.

As far as the harness, wrap the unused wires ends with electrical tape, pull the wires up and out of the way so they don't fall on exhaust or anything. Having the wires unhooked and covered will be fine.

As long as the stock 5.0 harness is clean and intact, you should be able to use it. Ford Racing makes a swap book, and it's $5 through Ford in Dearborn. I can get the address for you also if you like. I have the book and it's VERY thorough. Makes it seem easy.

Good luck!!

AL

Guest Anonymous

Thank You alsil!

I would love the adress for that book, Also when using the pulling slave and tilton MC do I use the mustang cluthch pedal or go buy a datsun one. Or am I just being retarted and not picuring the enitre niel/tilton setup.

Guest Anonymous

Just a opinion, but I'd go with the stock Datsun clutch pedal and hydraulic slave. I used a Howe Racing 3/4" slave and the stock Datsun pedals. I probably would have used a Tilton if I had it to do over, as the Howe required a bit of enlarging of the hole in the Firewall.

Unless you want to create work for yourself, forget the mustang pedals and cable assembly all together. The pedal box area is extremely tight and even with the dash out, its DEFINATELY not a place you want to spend a bunch of time working in. Its cramped and not a fun place to work.

As I said, just a opinion, but you can't believe the swear words I invented while playing with the dash putting in the clutch pedal alone (my car was a auto) without using something that wasn't designed to fit that space.

Your ride, Your call, good luck with it!

Lone

You mean a hydrolic Master Cylinder, don't you? You have to use a pulling slave cylinder with the Ford tranny, so you couldn't use the stock Z one. anyway, I agree, from esperience of trying to get the cable to work, DON'T BOTHER! I tried MANY different ways, none could get me the throw I needed. There probably is a way, I just couldn't find it. I gave up and did the hydrolic setup. Glad I did, too, works great!

AL

Guest firebern

No, I mean the pulling slave, how much are you pulling? What is the travel of the slave cylinder?

I want to know if I got enough when I pulled on the clutch cable using a hammer(was not in the Stang), I got 2 inches but then I probably pulled too far, I probably don't need that much travel. 2 inches is a lot, the slave I got give me a 1"3/8 I think.

Later,

Fire.

Guest firebern

Darn keyboard!

A couple of commas and dots were missing with that lst post.

I just want to know the travel of your pulling slave cylinder.

Thanks,

Bernard.

Not sure, but I think it's a little more than an inch. Didn't measure, but the 2" that you said you had is more than enough. The clutch fork doesn't have to go all the way to the end of it's travel, just enough to disengage the clutch. It actually starts disengaging higher than I though when I first did it - had to readjust it when I got it going.

AL

Guest Anonymous

Thank You alsil!

I would love the adress for that book, Also when using the pulling slave and tilton MC do I use the mustang cluthch pedal or go buy a datsun one. Or am I just being retarted and not picuring the enitre niel/tilton setup.

Bolts into the car like stock. Uses the stock pedal. I'll get you that address and post it, but here's the tech "hot line" so you can call them up and order one (probably easier) (810) 468-1356.

AL

Guest firebern

Great thanks,

this is what I needed to know

I get 1" 1/8 with the wildwood pulling

slave cylinder and I was worried it wouldn't be enough.

Later,

Fire.

Guest Anonymous

OK first off after reading this post I think I am screwed. icon_smile.gif I have a auto trans in my Z and want to put a T5 in it. The sad thing is I don't understand half of what you people are talking about, and I am a ford tech (no side comments please). I just want to know if anyone here has converted a auto to a standard before? And if so how much work was it. Also Alsil thanks for the post about the engine mounts, I have been looking for a pic of them for a while now. icon_smile.gif

It can be made really simple by using a hydraulic throwout bearing (I use the Mcleod-spelling?) with a 3/4" master cylinder (I used a Girling). No arms or slave cylinders. Very straight forward and simple as can be. I am only assuming your powerplant is a V8 and not a I6?