HybridZ

Boy, did I mess up

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

It turns out the 87 motor I bought is actually an 86. I read all this bad stuff about this motor, and how its not really buildable. Is there any hope or did I just waste alot of money?

Tony

• 2 months later...
Guest tom sixbey

i'm not really sure, but i've got a friend with an 86 5.0 in his 86 stang that runs it's ass off with little more than a certain set of STOCK 5.0 heads with a bowl blend and a 3 angle valve job... - i cant recall which heads they are, but i know they raise the compression to about 10:1 - good luck!

Guest Anonymous

tony, all you need is a set of 87 and up style pistons and heads. go to you local track or hangout and check with the mustang guys. most will have aftermarket heads on their cars and will sell you the stock one's cheep. if they have a stroker setup you could pick up the crank, rods and pistons for a deal also. if you can't find what you need e-mail me. PULN_AWAY@MSN.COM

Guest tom sixbey

hey blkmgk - have you seen anyone try to install those heads on a Z? - my friends just got some for a mustang, and even then, they are having header clearance issues.. I'm totally in the dark cause i've never even taken a good look at a 302 powered z!

You can't use stock - type headers from a 5.0 on a Ford powered Z. the collectors hit the framerails. I had to use block huggers to make it fit. Don't know about header clearence with them, I'm looking into it though, since I'm planning on getting that new GT40P motor soon. Let you know what I find out.

AL