HybridZ

late year 260 alternator swap guide?

re037

hey guys, ive been searching the internet intensively for the past few weeks on a 280zx alt upgrade for a late year 260z. ive only come across guides for 240 and 280 and even a early 260 but nothing about late build 260. with the fuel pump interlock and seatbelt interlock as well, im not sure how to go about the wiring. any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't see how it would be any different... a late model 260z is basically an early 280z with an L26. Likewise, an early 260z is basically a late model 240z with an L26.

well that was helpful... anyone who actually has a 260 want to chime in on the wiring/hardware differences?

need help concerning the fuel pump relay no longer getting a 12v signal off the regulator. can i just splice that into the n terminal of the alternator as intended from the factory?

From what I can tell by looking at the wiring diagrams the seatbelt/starter interlock gets a ground signal form the "L" terminal on the (external) regulator. The fuel pump relay gets a +7 volt signal from the "N" terminal from the regulator. Neither if these are available directly from the ZX alternator (with internal regulator).

The "L" terminal on the ZX alt. is ground when the engine is stopped and goes to +12 when the engine is running. You should be able use this to control a relay and provide the necessary signals to the interlock and fuel pump relay.

This is a popular conversion. I imaging there is a kit available that would do all this. Perhaps Motorsports (MSA) sells one?