HybridZ

What size carb for 5.0?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

5.0 guys, what size carb are you using (if carbed)? The reason I ask is because some manufacturers seem to recommend using a 500 cfm on 5.0 and smaller engines. I am wondering if I can use a 600 cfm Edelbrock and just tune it down a little. I want to do this so that if I decide to go with a bigger engine in the near future I won't have to pop for a bigger carb. Just planning ahead!

Guest Anonymous

You can use the 600 no problem. The way a edelbrock carb works, it'll meter fuel accordingly. My brother used a 450 cfm edelbrock on a 215 in buick v8 and it worked fine. 600 cfm will be no problem for the 5.0

Just for point of reference, I believe the shelby 289's in the mustang used a 4 bbl of about 730 cfm!

Regards,

Lone

Remember this formula when contemplating the purchase of a carburetor:

Displacement x RPM's/3456....multiplied by VE%

VE = Volumetric Efficiency.

RPM's = the max rpm's you think you'll be running

Just because an engine comes from the factory w/a smaller CFM carb doesnt mean you cant use a larger CFM carb. I believe the last time this subject came up-the thread was a pretty good one.

The premise of that thread was, "Why do some set up's use a CFM carb larger than needed?" We hashed it out & came up w/the answer that a larger CFM carb (tuned to your needs) can be used as it aleviates the atmospheric restrictions a smaller CFM carb would & therefore max airflow, at peak power rpm's, would allow your engine to run better; however-like anything there is always a give & take. If you choose a larger carb you're engine will be (may be/might be) sluggish at lower rpm's up to the pont your engine hits peak power!

Check the archives for "700cfm or 750cfm"; I think that was the name of the thread; and it was somewhere from 6 months to a year ago.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

I have built several carbureted 302. My experience says don't over-carb. I was most happy with Holley 600 double-pumper. I later tried a 750 and a 700. The engine was much more crisp with the 600 DP. So, If it me, I'd go with a 600 or 650.