HybridZ

Good news for Ford guys

BLKMGK

While over at my friend's Mustang shop I happened to run into a guy I've known awhile but have never been able to catch up with lately. He used to restore Z's but got out of the business - he still loves them though.

I've mentioned his last project here a few times - it was a 302 in a 240Z with a T5 using FOX style stock type headers! I mentioned that people are SCREAMING for motor mounts, he says he's got six pairs and a jig to make as many as he wants icon_biggrin.gif ! Apparently setting up the car with his mounts even lets you use the stock trans crossmember to mount the motor and the 240 trans mounts do NOT have to be cut out like they do on the SBC swap. Unfortunatly he decided to sell his 302 and switch to a ZXT motor so I cannot take any pics (sob). I do recall the shifter coming up in the stock hole just fine though! icon_smile.gif

I've got his phone numbers and his e-mail, I don't dare post his phone here htough (lol). His E-mail is dogpaws240@aol.com He claims he doesn't get on the 'net much though so please be patient waiting for responses. I do NOT know what he'll sell them for nor do I have pics of the mounts. Ask him about oil pan clearance though, I understand he used a STOCK FOX Mustang pan. He's got a set of brand new ported TFS Hi-port aluminum heads for sale new in box too - these are INCREDIBLE heads and no longer made so... Go get 'em and tell him I sent ya'. Hrm, he won't know my handle though (lol).

Mike/SCCA - he's looking for brakes for his 240ZXT BTW and I'll be sending him your way icon_smile.gif

I don't mean to dampen the excitement about these kits, but you cannot use the 5.0 mustang shorties without puuting the engine too far forward. The T5 shifter will not come out of the factory shifter hole in the body or console. I tried. With the engine as for back (header flange against the fire wall, and engine as low as I dared) the shifter was too far forward. I ended up using block-hugger headers, and slid the engine 2 inches further back. The rubber mount on the tranny is 4" behind the factory transmission body mount.

Guest firebern

I agree. I went through the same problems as he described and I couldn't put some Stock Ford headers on there. For the tranny mount I kept the original mounting points and took part of the mustang's mount, the center plate with the two eyelets, I still have to reinforce it with some metal tubing. The shifter those get through the hole but not dead center and my engine is less than 1 inch from the firewall.

But you never know, It migth just be....

Well, it's been awhile but I did see the engine mounted, with shorties, and the shifter did indeed come through the stock hole. I can't speak to height though as I simply don't remember but I saw it with the stock intake bolted on and it looked about right. One of his primary misions was having the shifter come through the stock hole and he let the rest of it fall wherever. I think he had some old MAC headers on there and when I mentioned headers to him on Saturday he said that he had stock style haders on there just fine. Since I've not actually tried it myself I certainly couldn't argue with him about it. icon_confused.gif

When I tried to do a check on how much space I had when I first lowered my engine into my car, the first thing that hit the frame rail was the stock headers (I had planned on using them originally). Unless you mount the engine REALLY high in the chassis (like at least an inch higher than I have it) I don't see how they would fit. I had to have the one that I used on the driver's side cut and angled more towards the engine to not rest ont he side of the frame rail. It is still REALLY close. Maybe if they are early ones, like '86 or before, maybe they fit? Dunno. You can position the enigne somehow for the rest to work, but I don't know about the tranny mount. I am pulling mine out in 2 weeks, I'm going to do some investigating. Plus, I'll be taking some pics that I missed in the mad thrash to be done for the trip. I'll do some measurments and share them.

AL

Guest firebern

It migth just be some very old headers,

cause alsil said it rigth: the headers hit the frame rails. I will send pictures of my setup soon.

Later,

fire.