HybridZ

ford 302 into a '88 300zx

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

does anybody know how to put a ford 5.0 into an '88 z31? i would love to and probably could do it but i don't know what it would require (wiring wise) and if it could be legaly done. Any input would be greatly appreciated, most people think i'm crazy. icon_confused.gif

First off, let me say YOU ARE CRAZY. And that you have found the perfect spot, with others just like you. icon_smile.gif

Really the swap shouldn't have huge differences from the 302 swap into an early Z, and thats been done a couple of times. I would start by reading through some older articles here, and then checking out www.jagsthatrun.com and ordering their datsun V8 conversion manual. It covers only the SBC install, but everything you'll need to address is allready done in that book.

Basically you need to consider that you will need to make your own motor mounts, transmission mounts, get a custom length driveshaft made, adapt the ford clutch to hydraulic, and in the end do the wiring. Don't let the wiring scare you too much though, proving you found a 302 still in a car, you should be able to swap all the controls over at once.

As for legality, you'll have to ask some of the other guys here what is go/no go in the US. Happy reading!