HybridZ

4.6L Swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've got a line on a new 2000 Mustang 4.6L, auto with all electrical for $2500.00. It has 74 miles on it.

Is this a good price and is anything special I need to know to do the engine swap?

Thanks in advance.

BOHICA

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a decent price, at least from what I've seen in my area. Specially with such low mileage.

As far as doing the swap, there are many Ford people on here who have swapped the motors in. Havn't seen a SOHC 4.6 installed yet, so it would be probably new territory you'd be facing. Usual snags are the exhausts, potentially the starter and oil filter although I'm not familiar enough with the 4.6 to tell you if they'll be a problem. Most of the problems are not insurmountable, and it would make a pretty sweet swap IMHO.

The JTR book that shows how a chevy v8 goes into the Z might still be of value as it does show rewiring, give good information on cooling and several other key issues when swapping a motor into the Z. Good luck with it.

Lone

i am a ford dealer tech.that is a fair deal if you get all the stuff you need.you will have to have the ecm reprogrammed so it will not put out codes with no cats and so it will start with out a PATS key.the ford dealers have a book called evtm that you will need to wire this up.do you know OBD2?you will know enough to get a dealer tech job when you are done with this.this car had 4 02 sensors-2in front of cats and 2 behind to monitor cat failure.ingnition is direct coil on plug-no plug wires.us a 75 to 78 z gas tank for easy fuel pump install.2000 motor has more hp than older units.trans is shifted by computor .od is locked out by button and shifter has only 3 positions-you could use a stock z auto shifter and bend a rod to hook it up.nobody has done this swap but it shouldnt be to hard.get the jtr book -it has lots of usefull info.good luck

Guest Anonymous

Never seen this swap done, but isn't the 4.6L SOHC wider than the pushrod 5.0L? Will there be any issues fitting this between the strut towers? I'm not sure but the motor maybe taller than a 5.0?

Sounds like a decent deal, but depending on your skill set and patience I'd vote to go with something more tried and true (like a pushrod 351). Especially because hi-po parts for that motor tend to be expensive and hard to come by, for the present.

Scott

• 6 months later...
Guest John Adkins

quote:

Originally posted by RacerX:

I thought about swapping a 4.6 DOHC engine in a Z. Then I read in one of my Ford mags that the SOHC and DOHC weight in over 600lbs!!!!

According to this tech article,the Ford modular weighs 457 lbs. 600 lbs sounds a bit too much, especially since manufacturers these days are trying to cut costs by using as little material as possible.... icon_smile.gif

[ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

Guest John Adkins

Hey RacerX,

I don't know why, but the 4.6 always gets a lot of bad press, like that it's heavy, has zero performance potential, etc... Are people afraid of it because it's a new design? icon_eek.gif

People are always comparing the 4.6 to bigger displacement engines like the LT1 or LS1. For its displacement, the SOHC in stock form makes good HP and has the ability to rev better than the windsor.The DOHC is even better. I have a 4.6 in my '98 F150 and I like it a lot. It's no big block in terms of torque, but compared to a pushrod 289, its an improvement... icon_smile.gif

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

The 4.6 guys around here are getting SICK power from them. The DOHC Cobra motor is by FAR the better of the two with forced induction making massive power - and bending a few rods too BTW. The SOHC is okay and it does rev but not like the Cobra motor. Built right the DOHC will go 9K on the tach and the exhaust makes NICE sounds.

SH is the one getting the most press but the experience my friend's shop has had with them and some of their parts has been less than impressive. Headers that barely fit, engines shipped missing parts(!?), intakes that have actually LOST power. Well, you get the idea. They've been getting their builds done by a shop in the midwest, not sure which one.

Yes for the size these motors make wonderful power and lot's of RPM. However, the race isn't won by efficiency! Hondas make great amounts of power per cube too but when there are so few cubes it doesn't matter - they often end up seeing taillights. Compare the amount of money it takes to get a DOHC Cobra motor to 600HP and compare what it takes to do the same with say a 351W.

Lastly, hey it's your car. If you want to be different by all means that's a neat motor! When you pop the hood people will really think it's neat. If you can score a DOHC though that would be even better. It doesn't have to be the fastest car on the block (or the cheapest) and the revs you'll get out of the 4.6 will be pure music...

Guest John Adkins

Hi RacerX:

I apologize, please don't take what I posted the wrong way... When I said "people", I didn't mean you ! icon_smile.gif I was just commenting on the attitude about the mod motor some folks have.....

I do hope the mod motor becomes more popular so that there will be more speed parts available from the aftermarket... Right now I think there are only two sources for aftermarket camshafts for the SOHC motor... If more aftermarket parts are available, the price of building up a mod motor will go down too

icon_smile.gif

[ May 20, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

Problem with cams is the way the stock ones are made - as I recall they have formed lobes that are slid over a tube and then the tube is expanded to hold tem in place. It's not the old standard of grinding a shaft anymore. There's also some fear that the motor is simply super complicated. The chains on the DOHC motor are a mile long (unless I'm mixing it up with the SHO). When they first came out I wondered if my friend's shop would even work on them. Sure enough he plunged right in and even tore his completely apart for a heavy duty rebuild - finding two bent rods and a cracked piston when he did.

They're apparently not so bad to work on, he loves the intake design. However there are more aftermarket companies doing work on SOHC parts vs DOHC parts due to the abundance of the SOHC - bummer. Me, I think I'll wait till they don't cost quite so much icon_smile.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Whats up guys kindof a newbie around here but i am so glad i found this site. me and my dad already have a 4.6 from a mark viii and are ready to do the conversion.so any help you have would be greatly appreciated. also looking for some info turbos and superchargers for the 4.6- any good kits? our main concern now are the computer mods (for the 4 oxy sensors), wiring harness issues, and our overall costs to get it all in there. if anyone has already done this mod please get in touch with me!