HybridZ

1976 280z Resto/Mod

Ive been on here for a few years mainly asking questions. This is my first project and figured I would start a thread.

I have been at it for almost 5 years and really hope to get it done within 2 years. Not unlikely considereing I have every part including labeled nuts and bolts.... I also didnt want to hit 5 years but we all know how that can go. I originally purchased it to do the bare minimum to put it on the road. It has since tunred into a V8 swap, suspesion, and paint.

This is my 1976 Datsun 280z as it sat when I bought it.

008.jpg

carz1976022.jpg

Then the trouble kicked in... After stripping some of the rattle can primer the previous body man had applied, I began to notice areas that were sprayed directly over pitted rust. This alone was enough to force me to strip it to bare metal. As I was doing this I began to notice the bondo that was piled on 1/2" in some places ,like the entire roof,that actually didnt even need it!!!!! Almost as if they started putting bondo and kept applying when they couldnt get it to feel straight. And under that, you guessed it!, pitted rust!

I hand stripped everything I could and then decided I would bring it to a blaster. I pre paid, he did a terrible job,argument led to a refund and a drive home in the rain(with a 80% bare metal car.... I decided not to trust these local blaster and I bought a HF blaster and went to town!

12.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

Then epoxy primed most of the shell.

15.jpg

Then I focused on the engine bay. It had minor rust through areas but lots of brackets holes, and seams. I decided to spot weld all seems and fill them smooth. I cut off all of the old brackets and welded the holes shut.

enginepull004.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

The blaster isnt perfect and I got all of the rust off that I posibly could. I decided on POR15 and there Tie-Coat primer.

10.jpg

5.jpg

Also did the same thing with the inner fenders.

3.jpg

2.jpg

Removed door skins, spot blasted and applied Zero Rust to the inner door skin and door.

IMG_20111213_130023.jpg

IMG_20111213_130006.jpg

The rear roll pan on these cars have big indentions for the bigger bumpers on the 280z model. I opted to shave thoughs and go with duel exhaust cutouts for the 302 Ford swap. Mine was all mangled up beyond repair so I had a machine shop roll me a new one out of sheetmetal.

IMG_20120110_171644.jpg

IMG_20120111_155902.jpg

IMG_20120125_162157.jpg

IMG_20120126_173656.jpg

After several thin layers of fller and blocking , i got it straight enough (so I think) for high build. So yesterday I applied 3 heavy coats of Mar-Hyde 2k and began blocking.

2012-03-04_18-07-45_199.jpg

The plans are to block it out atleast twice. Then I will begin putting panels and door back on to block the entire car together 1 more time.

Also made some quick brackets to help support the roll pan.

IMG_20120125_161544.jpg

Edited by 280z4me2

I found several drawings for cradle mounts so I will just make my own. Dont remember where I printed them from though....

A tip with the HF blaster, Buy a strainer to get out small rocks. Even the smallest ones will clog it up. Buy a pack of ceramic tips from HF. If you keep the sand clean and the nozzle tips replaced every 20 minutes, its well worth the money. It loses blasting power pretty quick because the nozzles wear out and widen.