HybridZ

Nissan 300ZX -88 gearbox

Kimi

I wonder if it is possible to use the Nissan 300ZX -88 gearbox instead of Borg-Warner manual 4. I have a Ford 302 engine at this moment in my 240Z -71, but the gearbox is not in good shape anymore. My friend has a 300ZX gearbox to sell. I would like to install a Borg-Warner T5, but if the Nissan gearbox can be swapped with the Ford gearbox, it will be cheaper. Sorry for my bad english, I come from Finland, Europe.

OK, I now know that my question was kind of stupid. The 300ZX -88 gearbox won´t fit. Now I have a new question: the engine is an old 229/302 Ford. Does that mean that the Borg-Warner T5 won´t fit instead of my manual 4 Borg-Warner? icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

Try Sacramento Mustang at: http://www.sacramento-mustang.com/Products/products.html

They make a adapter plate to hook the T5 to the old Mustang 4sp bellhousing. It runs about $150.00

In regards to your other question, I don't think it was stupid at all, I think no one knows for sure to be honest (at least from what I remember seeing on this forum, I won't say no one's done it). Its been brought up before about the Nissan version of the T5 being used with a Chevy or Ford and it may be possible, it'd probably require either changing (if its possible) the front input shaft to a Ford or GM one or using the Nissan one with a Nissan clutch disk with a Ford or GM flywheel and pressure plate. Obviously the former idea of using the 4sp Ford bellhousing with an adapter and using a Ford T5 would be easiest.

Regards,

Lone

So, now I have a new question about gearboxes. An another friend to me has a 302 with T10 gearbox to sell. Could this manual 4 gearbox fit into my 289/302 Ford engine? icon_redface.gif

The differential in my 240Z will be a R200. The ratio is at the moment 3.9, but it will be about 3,6 - 3,7. Can I drive with a 4-speed gearbox in the car, or should I have a T5? The only problem with a T5 is that it is really hard to find a gearbox like that in Finland. And if you find one, it will cost about the same as the car did icon_sad.gif

i HAD a 3.9 with a T5 in my car with a 5L and it was tiring even WITH OD.............

first gear was totally useless it was far too short to even use at all. i could start totally smooth without slipping the clutch in 2nd gear. 1st would be ok only if you wanted to do a smoke show and then for only 2 seconds before you ran out of rpm .(2nd did fine icon_biggrin.gif for smoke shows anyway)

just put a 3.54 in it hope that makes first gear somewhat useable.

FYI i also have 16" tires so if yours are smaller the problem would be worse!

Yeah, talk about hard to drive. At this moment the diff is 3.9, the gearbox is a Borg-Warner manual 4, the clutch is almost busted and the engine runs great. Great combination icon_wink.gif

Someone had a lot of extra tires when they built this car icon_biggrin.gif

with 15" tires buy one of the 3.22 gearsets.. that will make it driveable anyway.....

there was a post a while back some nissan dealer was selling them for $200 brand new this was posted on zcar.com.....