HybridZ

Wiring?

Guest firebern

Guest firebern

Hey,

my 280Z was manual and still is. As for the coil, it doesn`t matter cause the original ford is a piece of crap! Get a good coil(be sure it is compatible with the ford ecu)

As for the EGR it`s sits on the engine itself, unless you don`t have the vaccuum regulator, you can get this off any ford V8 car or truck, a F150 for ex.

As for the original pump, make sure you have enough pressure, I bougth a holley inline fuel pump made for Stangs and plugged it to the Datsun wires and it works fine. Since 280Zs are EFI, the pump runs all the time,

the injectors distribute fuel into each cylinder.

A good coil cost less than 100$

and a good fuel pump about 120$.

Later,

Fire.

i planned on a crane coil in the end - just wanted to get it running on the stock ford one..

what did you end up doing for the clutch setup..

figure out the Tbird or similar or ?

Guest firebern

The clutch...

What a story...

The TBird setup is not the way to go, you'd

need some pretty fancy tranny work to get this done. So forget about it, its cheaper to get the Throwout bearing from Tilton or Weber. I saw one McLeod on ebay that sold for 50$, you had to be lucky on this one.

I ended up making a clutch pedal mount, took the original datsun clutch pedal, cut off the top part, etc... I built my own clutch pedal to pull the Mustang cable. Got a little more than 1 inch travel and the thing works great. It's even better then when the tranny was in the mustang, I couldn't get the thing to shift in reverse and now, this works fine. A swift and cheap design. I will do it even better in the future when I get my own arc welder. FOr now it's great. But I didn't test it on the long run so beware!

I was thinking of making a kit for the datsun 2 ford conversion, but I don't like my design for the engine mounts. I just don't have time anymore to work on the car, I want to get this thing on the road. If no one comes up with a kit in the next year,

I'll work on those mount and make one.

Anyways, if you are ever interested,

it quite simple.

See my next topic"4 wheel disc brakes".

Later,

Fire.

Guest firebern

Oh yeah,

the water pump, it fits fine and this is really easy to replace.

But beware!!!!

The mustang water pump pulley won't fit cause of the screw holes. You can either get these enlarge(towards the center) or get a pulley off a Crown Victoria LTD 1988 at a junk yard but its size is larger so you'll need a bigger belt(if you bougth it already, if you didn't then go this way).

The path of your belt changes. Think of what

you want to do in the future. Power steering

or supercharger? You'll probaly have to put

it back, but if you are not thinking of doing this in the next year or more, then

go ahead a water pump is cheap anyway, 40$ or less.

I didn't look for a high performance one but I think that the Crown pump will actually provide more flow then the original Stang's.

If you have time, go in a parts store and look at the differences between the blades of each.

I got a 15 inch SS blade from flex lite.

Later,

Fire.

wow--- i didnt think the clutch fork would even fit in there. i will go hydraulic. too lazy to put the fork in and beat the inners to clear. cool that you got the cable to work though, and MUCH cheaper. the 2 tilton parts cost me $365! and that was a deal.

Guest firebern

YOu got an awesome deal, cause the only place who could order it for me was Final Lap in Orleans(20 minutes away from Ottawa)

and the price was 600$!!! and I am dead serious. Nobody else could order it.

Guest firebern

Aren't you from Vancouver?

Yeah, I realized yesterday that you were probably talking US. All rigth from now on

I will specify $CAN when talking about prices.

Later,

Fire.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest firebern

WATCH OUT! the Crown Victoria will not fit the mustang setup properly without modifying

the crankshaft pulley. So stay with the modified stang pulley.

i'm actually quite happy with how the Cvic pump worked out, man it flows a lot of water..

think i will add a restrictor into the heater hose lines ...

need to do that and re/re the heater hoses to the motor to make them nicer...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest firebern

Yep, the crown vic pump is real good.

It flows lots more. Plus it's free. A reverse running fan is 20$US more so probably 40$CAN and the march bracket to replace the P/S pump must be another 100$.

I bougth the pump for 50$ after core and I guess you got it for even less.

Later,

Fire.

i went for a brand new pump $75 C$ so $50 USD. no core charge then.... i would have given the mustang pump back as a core but thought i would rather have NEW than a rebuild..for the huge difference..

the cheaper (ugly) march pulley setup is like $60 USD, the nicer looking one is $110 and if you wanted the heim rod end alt mount with it - then thats like $160 i'll live with the VIctoria pulley for ever it would be nice to drop the alt bracket and lower the alt for looks but right now thats not important...

Guest firebern

SO lots more money is saved, cool!

I was worried about the threaded side of

the belt rolling on the flat-sided pulley

but I saw an ad for the supercharger with the same setup. So cool no worries.