HybridZ

sectioning the rear for the same shock as the front?

Ok so I'm about done with my front suspension, just need to finish up my wheel wells and engine bay paint and then I can put in all my shiny new parts. I have sectioned my front struts for the bz3099 (mr2 aw11 rear) and will be doing the rear suspension soon. I haven't bought shocks for the rear yet and I was just looking into the front 240z shocks as is standard... But I got to thinking that maybe I should just go for another bz3099 for the rear. I know most people seem to run a longer shock in the rear and I was mainly wondering why. I will probably just go for the front 240z shocks like everyone seems to do... but can anyone tell me why I shouldn't run a shorter shock? The only thing I can think is that perhaps the rear end would sit too low that way? But then I could just turn up the coil overs and give myself more travel. What's the right thing to do here? I am using the gc kit from techno toy so I do have the longer threaded sleeves (7 in). I still have a while before I will be buying shocks so i'd like to figure out what the best option is.

Thanks!

Use whichever shock you'd like in the rear. Just make sure you take out the same amount from the rear as you did in the front. If you sectioned out 1.5" from the front, take 1.5" from the rear. If you took out 2", then take 2". You want to remove the same amount so you'll have the same amount of drop front and rear when you have the suspension adjusted to have the same amount of travel. Then you'll use whatever size spacer you need under the shock to make the gland nut fit correctly. With the BZ3099 the spacer will be longer than the BZ3015/BZ3012.

Does that make sense?

Use whichever shock you'd like in the rear. Just make sure you take out the same amount from the rear as you did in the front. If you sectioned out 1.5" from the front, take 1.5" from the rear. If you took out 2", then take 2". You want to remove the same amount so you'll have the same amount of drop front and rear when you have the suspension adjusted to have the same amount of travel. Then you'll use whatever size spacer you need under the shock to make the gland nut fit correctly. With the BZ3099 the spacer will be longer than the BZ3015/BZ3012.

Does that make sense?

Ah I see. I was more wondering about using the 3099 without a spacer. But you've kind of answered my question already... so I want to be sure to section by the same amount. I guess there must have been some engineering thought that went into the strut tube lengths. Ok I will go with the 3015. Thanks!