HybridZ

Speedo Cable Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've got a question for you guys with 5.0/T5s about routing the speedo cable where it exits from the transmission (T5). Mine doesn't seem to have enough room to curve out of the way of the exhaust pipes, which are tucked up pretty tight. Has anybody looked into 90 degree adapters to get the cable running parallel to the trans instead of perpendicular? Any other solutions?

Any help would be appreciated.

GrinZ

Hrm, had a problem on my Mustang where a dummy at the dealership routed my cable wrong after a recall on the catalytics. It didn't take long for the speed sensor on the end to fail internally as the trans tried to drive the kinked speedo' cable. The dealership claimed no fault of course and I had to fix it myself - 2 dealer trips for free work, got screwed both times, learned my lesson! Ended up having to replace the sensor ANd the cable in the end.

What I'm trying to say is be careful with the routing. You're obviously already aware that it can be sensitive but try hard not to fudge it. If you see any evidence that the cable is binding while looking at the speedo fix it asap or you'll be sorry as I was. Is this an EFI car? If not and if it's got a speed sensor on the end you may be able to remove it to gain more room....

Guest Anonymous

I converted from EFI to carb. And your right, the speed sensor is useless to me now. I'll have another look and see about removing it.

Thanks for the tip!

GrinZ