HybridZ

Turn signal/headlight switch swap

nick-james

I have a 76 280z thats undergoing an engine swap. I used an aftermarket wiring harness that has provisions for gm plugs (ignition, alternator and column assembly). I went to the junkyard and discovered that all of the gm turn signal/headlight switchs (the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel) were complete junk. Every single switch had tons of play and just felt like stirring a stick in gravel...nothing i wanted to put in my project car.

The more i thought about it, i suspect that most turn signal/headlight switches are basically all the same (i think). Im fairly proficient in wiring and soldering. Im wondering if i can use the switch off of a 350z. The switch in my 350z has a better feel than anything made by gm and i think it looks better too. Is there anything special about the switch that would prevent me from just soldering the wires to the gm harness? I doubt there is any electronics in it. The relays for the hazzards and turn signals are seperate so i think its just an assembly of dummy contacts. Am i thinking about this right? It would be sooooo much nicer to use a modern z's control than a crappy old gm part.

Edited by nick-james