HybridZ

280z strut tube I.D.?

Can't seem to find this anywhere. About to section my tubes again and I want to put a pipe inside, but can't find the inner diameter.

I've found some sites that say the O.D. is 2.175", can anyone verify that? I know it's slightly bigger than 2", so that would seem right.

Thanks!

I'm extending the tube about 1.5", I just want it for extra support. Basically, I'll take a 3" piece to fit inside the tube, weld a piece the same diamater as the tube over it in the middle, cut my tube in half, place the piece between the two, and weld it all up.

If you take the tubes down to your local machine shop I'm sure they'll be able to turn a piece of bar stock or tubing for you pretty simply to fit it.

I'm pretty sure the 280z tubes have the same ID as a 240Z tube, so it should be right around 1.730". If I remember correctly the wall thickness of the tubes is thicker, accounting for the greater OD on the 280z tubes.

Why are you extending them? Did you section too short or something? Or are you extending them farther than stock? I know they say not to but I had good luck welding my strut tubes back together by just putting my old strut in the tube and welding.

Welding more than a tack weld with a strut in the tube was the most dangerous mistake I've ever made in the shop!

The strut ruptured spraying a fine mist of damper oil onto a red-hot weld. This ignited and the stream persisted for a good 3-5 seconds which made a giant (ie. 4-6 ft.) sustained fireball. I got hit right in the face with it when it erupted, but luckily didn't sustain any burns as my welding hood took everything as I jerked away.

And I thought those old gas shocks were dead and okay to weld on... boy was I wrong!

Never, ever again!

Be safe, always have a fire extinguisher on hand, and think through everything you do in the shop/garage!

Welding more than a tack weld with a strut in the tube was the most dangerous mistake I've ever made in the shop!

The strut ruptured spraying a fine mist of damper oil onto a red-hot weld. This ignited and the stream persisted for a good 3-5 seconds which made a giant (ie. 4-6 ft.) sustained fireball. I got hit right in the face with it when it erupted, but luckily didn't sustain any burns as my welding hood took everything as I jerked away.

And I thought those old gas shocks were dead and okay to weld on... boy was I wrong!

Never, ever again!

Be safe, always have a fire extinguisher on hand, and think through everything you do in the shop/garage!

Wow thats scary! Mine already had a hole in it (drilled too far when it was stuck in the bottom of the strut and I drilled a hole to hammer it out). I'm sure it leaked some oil out of the hole from the heat though.

Also, on some struts the part with the largest diameter is the weld at the end. The penetration that should be ground down on the inside of the tube won't let you pull the old strut out after you weld it in.

Ask me how I know ;)

It is a good tool to place the tack welds though, since it keeps everything perfectly lined up!

I usually put an old insert in and clamp it into the angle. Rotate to place 4 tack welds around the perimeter and take it out to weld it solid.

Wow, that's sketchy sounding.

The situation is, I cut my strut tubes and welded the mounts on there when I was running 14x6's with a 195/70r14, and now that I'm running a 15x10 with a 205/50 I had to raise the coilover so much that it's almost to come out of the tube. I'd rather section the strut tube up a bit and screw the coilover shock farther down into the mount, just to be on the safe side.