HybridZ

Misfire in one cylinder : my experience

jgautosport

This is a problem I've been dealing with for the past week and thought that the solution may be helpful to others.

My l28e was running fantastic before I had parked it for a year and a half. I did not use a fuel stabilizer and the tank was 1/4 filled. I live in Vegas so moisture was not my top priority but never had intentions of letting it sit for that long. I primed the engine to get the oil flowing and fired it up. Ran pretty bad. It would bog when you blip the throttle. It seemed to have a miss. I blamed bad gas due to the smell. So I drained the tank and refilled with 10gal of fresh gas and bg 44k. After a quick test drive it would bog and studder under load. Prior to parking the fuel tank was boiled and coated, new walbro pump, prefilter before the pump so I wasn't suspecting a blockage. I was thinking varnish. I changed the prefilter and my main fuel filter and put in new plugs. Still no better. I checked my plugs and all were burning ok except #3. The plug was wet and looked brand new and unburned. I checked for spark and it was good, then thought I had an injector stuck open. Did the screwdriver to ear test and heard nothing so i Bought a new injector and had same misfire in #3.thinking I received a bad injector I got another one under warranty. I made a pigtail with an injector connector so I can manually test the injector. I heard no clicking. So then I thought electrical. Went over the fi bible and was going to do some test and decided to borrow a noid light. I had an injector pulse and went no further with electrical testing. All this head scratching and I forgot about the 3rd element. Compression. I pulled my valvecover of and was filled with joy to find something wrong! My intake rocker had popped off and my lash pad was sitting in the gally of the head. It popped off clean with no scoring to the cam or damage to the valve spring retainer. Popped it back on and got my cylinder back! Only explanation I can come up with is maybe with the car sitting for so long the valve stuck in the open position and popped the lash pad off when I was trying to start it. Sealed off the intake valve and started filling my runner with fuel and would leak down overnight and wet the plug. As for the no ticking from the injector, I'm still at a loss maybe the tip was submerged in fuel .

Sorry for the long story but if it helps someone then I'm happy. I tried tons of searches and found similar problems but no resolution. So remember to check all 3. Fuel, ignition, and compression.