HybridZ

My new tow hooks from Z Car Customs

1 tuff z

Finally got around to installing the tow hooks that I purchased from Brian at Z Car Customs along with my new rear spoiler.

The rear was pretty simple, remove bumper bracket bolts, slide in tow hook, install bolts.

Front was a bit more involved. I have a 73z with the later / bigger / bulkier bumper brackets. Anyway was trying to determine how I'd install the front hook and couldn't really fit it in the place where the earlier [70-72] brackets fit so, I Hybridized it!

Long time ago I had removed the small pipe tube looking thing that runs transversely at the front of the brackets and when doing so the brackets wanted to split apart. Used this 'split' to insert the tow hook between them. Took a few minutes to drill the holes but it works wonderfully. Pics...

Hooks

med_gallery_176_1027_869637.jpg

Rear

med_gallery_176_1027_436116.jpg

Front-top [sandwiched] view

med_gallery_176_1027_1202617.jpg

Front-side view

med_gallery_176_1027_909559.jpg

med_gallery_176_1027_649201.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got decals to go with the tow hooks so IF [more like when] I'm off track next they'll know where to strap it on! Made specifically for our Z bumpers [searched all over and all were too large to fit on the 'skinny' z bumpers].

Rear

med_gallery_176_1027_1943437.jpg

Front

med_gallery_176_1027_1480548.jpg

Edited by 1 tuff z

Nice pics and write-up. I had been looking (not very hard) for a set of these. I had forgot about Z Car Customs even though it's saved in my favorite link section. I was thinking about making some myself, but I can't beat his price, so I just ordered two sets ( I have two cars now ).

I had bolted a hook to what I thought was the rear bumper mount. This was after having removed both bumpers. Well, I did go off track and got stuck in a gravel pit. The track crew hooked up and tore the hook off, it was just thick sheet metal, not a major structural point. They then opened to hatch and pulled me out backwards by the roll bar.

Totally stupid question, here, I don't know anything about racing regulations. Why does everybody label their tow hooks with the word "tow?" Maybe it isn't obvious?? Probably a regulation? The tow hooks look great.

I use my front one everytime I winch the car on and off the trailer. So far, haven't used the rears.

post-5903-043794300 1335139598_thumb.jpg

post-5903-075597400 1335139618_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

Totally stupid question, here, I don't know anything about racing regulations. Why does everybody label their tow hooks with the word "tow?" Maybe it isn't obvious?? Probably a regulation? The tow hooks look great.

I use my front one everytime I winch the car on and off the trailer. So far, haven't used the rears.

Different clubs have different rules, the club I drive with does not require such a label, but I suspect other clubs do. My club does require a tow hook at each end of the car as do most clubs. The tow hooks and the labels, both front and rear have more to do with the emergency crews that come out on the track to help when there's a problem. Every car and every driver has their hook in a different place. Sometime the rear is the best place to pull from. The labels make it easier for the track workers to find and hook up to your car.

Every race car will eventually get towed in from the track. Maybe they threw a rod, or simply ran out of gas. Every car will get towed in sooner or later.

I get it: so this is to keep the guys who don't know your car from bending the crap out of it by towing from a weak spot. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I never imagined a situation where I wouldn't be supervising. I guess getting your head whacked or being rushed to the hospital could sure cause that plan to fail! Thanks - I best get me some stickers.