HybridZ

l28et in 74' 4 speed tranny

xShodaimex

Hey guys I have a l28et and Im using a 4 speed tranny with it. The car would NOT go into gear unless I unbolted one of the two bolts that holds the slave cylinder on the tranny and it now shifts into gear but does not seem to be fully engaged. Can anyone shine some light my way and tell me why its like this? Am I using the wrong stuff? Im thinking the push rod is too long or Im using the wrong collar. I have searched and did not find an exact answer for my question. Any help would do ,thank you.

This is what it has:

240mm Fidanza flywheel

240mm ACT street disc + heavy duty pressure plate

280z throw-out bearing

Hey guys I have a l28et and Im using a 4 speed tranny with it. The car would NOT go into gear unless I unbolted one of the two bolts that holds the slave cylinder on the tranny and it now shifts into gear but does not seem to be fully engaged. Can anyone shine some light my way and tell me why its like this? Am I using the wrong stuff? Im thinking the push rod is too long or Im using the wrong collar. I have searched and did not find an exact answer for my question. Any help would do ,thank you.

This is what it has:

240mm Fidanza flywheel

240mm ACT street disc + heavy duty pressure plate

280z throw-out bearing

Pretty sure you need to run the turbo zx throw-out collar on this set up. I did but with a SPEC stage 1 turbo clutch. Did you measure the installed height of the pressure plate before you put it in? With the FSM and that distance you can calculate if you have the correct collar. I don't think a shorter push rod will help. From the way mine is installed the plunger in the slave cylinder will compensate for the rod length, provided it is not pushing out of the slave cylinder at full pedal travel, but fluid loss would tell you that.

Edited by ctc

• 1 month later...

I finally changed the throw out bearing to the correct turbo one. It feels way better now, but still has the same problem. Wont start unless I take out a bolt.. I am pretty stumped but ill just be driving it lightly until i can solve the problem

Pretty sure you need to run the turbo zx throw-out collar on this set up. I did but with a SPEC stage 1 turbo clutch. Did you measure the installed height of the pressure plate before you put it in? With the FSM and that distance you can calculate if you have the correct collar. I don't think a shorter push rod will help. From the way mine is installed the plunger in the slave cylinder will compensate for the rod length, provided it is not pushing out of the slave cylinder at full pedal travel, but fluid loss would tell you that.

I was just wondering if it was possible for anyone to tell me what the correct length/distance would be. I'm stumped on what size collar to use with my set up. I have a 240sx transmission, trying to run a RB flywheel and 350z clutch and pressure plate. I have the measurements of 3 3/8in for my flywheel and pressure place, but i have no clue on what the distance should be. Thanks! and sorry to hijack your thread.

Edited by voong413

I was just wondering if it was possible for anyone to tell me what the correct length/distance would be. I'm stumped on what size collar to use with my set up. I have a 240sx transmission, trying to run a RB flywheel and 350z clutch and pressure plate. I have the measurements of 3 3/8in for my flywheel and pressure place, but i have no clue on what the distance should be. Thanks! and sorry to hijack your thread.

No problem man, we're all here to either help or learn. As for yours I cannot help you. I have barely any knowledge on the drive train parts as I am still learning as I go along.

Measurements of installed pressure plate height are in the FSM (240sx) in your case. For your set-up with a mish-mash of parts, you will need the stock distance as specified in the FSM and your installed height of pressure plate on your fly wheel. The difference will be how longer or shorter the throughout collar will need to be.

I can't seem to find specs for the stock distance in my 82 280zx manual, but I'll definitely double check when I get a chance. I have the measurement for all my parts, I just can't seem to figure out the correct distance from the pressure plate to the back of the collar. Correct me if I'm wrong ,once I have the measurements of a correct setup, I can just add up the total distance of my setup and match it with the correct collar to equal the distance of the correct setup right?

Edited by voong413