HybridZ

VQ30DE into '77 280Z

c29842984

Hello all,

I am just getting going on my new project for which I have allotted 2-3 years to complete.

In January I picked up a '77 280Z for $600. The guy selling it me was only selling because he could not get it into gear while running. A few turns on the master cylinder adjustment nut and I had a fully running 280Z for $600.

I spent some money and time getting the L28 to run more correctly (needed new ignition parts to run better) and it now will take me anywhere reliably.

The body is very straight, though it has some rust in a few places, but nothing major. This is my second Z so I learned the hard way on rust issues with the first one.

Last week I stumbled across a 2000 Maxima being parted out that still had everything I needed left for my dream swap, a VQ30DE into an S30. I picked it up for $350 and it has the engine, wiring harness, computer, key, and ignition all still intact. I am only missing the upper intake manifold and MAF sensor. I was finding engines only in the $400-$500 range, so to me this was a steal.

My plan is to accumulate a 350Z/G35 transmission, upper oil pan, exhaust manifolds, starter, and driveshaft over some time.

Although I am not the greatest fabricator in the world, I have a good friend that is an excellent welder and currently restoring a '67 Mustang. He can help me fabricate mounts for the motor and transmission as well as help stiffen the chassis on the 280Z.

I plan to document everything as I tear down the Maxima, build the motor setup, restore the Z, and transplant the motor.

I have found little resource on this swap between here and the Google world (been researching for over a year), so if anyone has any input or advice on this as I go it will be very appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Greg

If you do some more searching you will find a few builds on this site, of VQ engines in Z's. 3.5 litre VQ's have more build threads. Maybe they are in the V6 Nissan Engine Forum. ( Hint Hint ). Quite a few of them have pictures and I think they show how they made the engine mounts also.

I saw 9 different threads on VQ engines in Z's, on the first page alone. Would like to see some pics of your build in progress.

Edited by dexter72

If you do some more searching you will find a few builds on this site, of VQ engines in Z's. 3.5 litre VQ's have more build threads. Maybe they are in the V6 Nissan Engine Forum. ( Hint Hint ). Quite a few of them have pictures and I think they show how they made the engine mounts also.

I saw 9 different threads on VQ engines in Z's, on the first page alone. Would like to see some pics of your build in progress.

I do certainly intend to use the helpful information from the VQ35 swaps when it comes to mounts, though they do not address the intake manifold issue (FWD to RWD) or if there are any complications when bolting the FWD VQ30 to the 350Z/G35 6-speed.

I am hoping to pool a lot of the needed information together for anyone else intending to do this swap. It seems most of the VQ30DE FWD to RWD conversions have been done in S13's and S14's.

I intend to get some pictures up of where I am starting from this weekend.

Hi Greg,

I started a project quite a while ago that may have some info or pictures that may be of interest to you, it is a VQ30det into 260z.

If you look at the pics in this link you will see my engine mounts and new cross-member. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?16550-VQ30-DET-into-1974-260z

Also the site VQ30det.com is a forum for this motor, although not exactly the same there will be some poss useful info on transmission options as the VQ30det only comes as an auto so many people want to change this.

I have an old thread on this forum as well. http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/78920-vq30det-into-260z/

I have an new thread here about making a new intake manifold, http://www.vq30det.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1886

If you look into some Maxima forums you may find guys doing custom intakes, or using different model manifolds, depending on hood clearance.

I spent a lot of time Googling VQ custom plenums and manifolds in images, there are some interesting approaches and you may be able to use a maxima or Ultima manifold and adapt the plenum side of things.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards Rob

Edited by rp975

• 4 weeks later...