HybridZ

turbo 350 trans

hey guys im new to this board, doing my first v8 swap! Was hoping to get some feedback on putting a turbo 350 behind a 350 in my Z? Thought about doing the 700r4 but came across a deal on engine/transmission that was already in a v8z that I couldnt pass up. this is only going to be temporary though until my kids get older and i start building a nicer engine and trans for it. just looking for something good for now. any feedback would be appreciated thanks!

Not really sure what sort of feedback ou are looking for, but it is probably already posted here in the forum. CozyzCole I believe still runs a t350 behind his v8 swap. Couple of others as well I think. I have a 350 with a 9"tailshaft behind my 283, but it isn't driving yet. The general thought is that it is a bit much for highway type speed, meaning 60+. It is a good transmission though, and rebuilds are cheap.

I have a 2004-r sitting in the garage for when I want to do the swap, but for know I got a deal on the transmission and an aluminum driveshaft already cut for a 350 9" so there you have it.

The 350 is a good trans, if they are put together right they are really strong. The drawback is that 350s are a direct drive trans, so they need a numerically low rear end ratio to get any great gas milage. The 200/400 R4 are overdrive units. They will let the engine turn slower at speed. They're the way to go, but if you have a good 350, I'd run it.

• 2 weeks later...

The nice thing about a th350 is that it has no TV cable like 200r or 700r. And the th350 seems to always shift at the right time, unlike 200r and 700r's. And cheap rebuilds for the th350.

But no OD with the th350 is an issue if you build a mild engine (low rpm engine) and plan to drive a lot on the highway.

A friend on mine used a th350 and love it but didn't like the rpms on the highway even through we put in a 2.87:1 1980 vette diff in the rear.

However, if you put in a cam like a 292H compcam , 3000 rpm stall, and use a 3.55 gear, then you will not miss the OD that much.