HybridZ

Anyone run a PVC valve?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've heard the benefits, reduce engine internal pressure and improve ring sealing. I've also had guys tell me "You ever see a PVC on a dragster?" well no...

Who's running a PVC and where is it's vacuum source? To the air cleaner seems like the appropriate place (back in the day) but I dont know now.

Thanks. Jon

Guest Anonymous

You actually do see a evacuation device on some of the econorail dragsters. Look at the headers sometimes (not zoomies, but upswept 4-1 headers) you'll see a braided like coming from the valve covers to the header. It draws a venturi type effect and pulls off the pumping air and gases from the bottom end. It ain't a PCV but it plays one on TV... icon_biggrin.gif

Top fuel, look at the size of the vents on the valve cover some time.....

Vacuum source is off the manifold or carb, but check them, even new ones occasionally are bad and leak. I had one giving a rather major vacuum leak.

Not sure on a PCV, but using a vacuum pump is not uncommon for a racing engine. The can see 25-50 hp by drawing out alot of the windage in the bottom end, them big pistons and long strokes will really put out some air under the pistons and if you make it easier, its relatively free HP (far outweighs what the pump cost to run)!

Regards,

Lone

I used to manage an exhaust shop and did a few of these systems. What they are is a one way Ford EGR piece that is tapped into the back of the header or just behind the collector on a 45 degree angle to draw the gases out. I believe the header mount is supposed to be more efficient. I am running dual pcv's one off each cover to the base of my TBI.S. icon_rolleyes.gif

I was not running o PCV valve on my car until a few weeks ago. I had a problem with fumes getting into the car, and I checked all my seals. I had a similar problem on my old '66 Mustang way back. So I put a PCV valve from the carb to the valve cover (stock fitting on the '95 oil filler tube ont eh valve cover) and the fumes are gone.

I HIGHLY recommend one. Even if you can't smell the fumes, they are there.

AL icon_biggrin.gif

I run one too. The only time I never ran one, I ended up with an oil resisdue all over the motor. Even a fresh engine needs one. I run a PCV valve on one valve cover that draws air through a filter on the other valve cover, through the block, and into the manifold via the PCV valve.

Guest JAMIE T

I would recommend using one also. Or at least a hose to a breather on the valvecoverthat draws a vacuum. My brother was working on this '85 mustang GT, he put a cap on the valve cover without thinking. When we went to start the car, it spewed oil from every seal. I took the valvecover breather off and the spewing stopped. It had too much crank case pressure.