HybridZ

Flat plane cranks

Not being a V8 person untill a week ago i am curious if people run flat plan cranks in there V8's. It seems that with modern engine management systems that the problem of the changed firing order would be easy to over come and you would have better exhaust scavaging and no need for a x-over pipe. Any thoughts?

Lotus akso use one in the V8 Esprit. A flat plan crank has the crank pins at 180 degrees from each other as opposed to 90 degrees on a normal one. Picture 2 inline four cylinders shareing a crank. this makes echaust tuning much easyer. icon_wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

From a practical standpoint, I was taught that it is virtually impossible to couple two four cylinder engines to the same crank and fire eight cylinders evenly with a single camshaft.

The flat plane crank engines I have dealt with have the same firing orders as a single four banger on each bank. They solve the cam and firing problems with twin cam heads and two distributers (Ferrari 308).

If I remember correctly, the requirement of offsetting the "buck" of each firing cylinder with the next, dictates very few firing orders which will allow a V-8 engine to run reasonably smooth from a vibration standpoint.

I may be all wet about this, but in my defense, college was a lot of leaded fuel ago!