HybridZ

more questions!!

Guest Paul Felker

Guest Paul Felker

hello everybody, Im almost ready to start my 5.0 conversion. But I have a few questions, first what do i do about the power sterring pump and smog pump ive read here that yuo use a water pump from a late 80,s crown vic, or a ltd. what about the march power sterring pump delete kit anybody use this stuff before?? what about the trans crossmember i havent found any thing on the search feature on this site. im going to use asils motor mounts. what did he use for the trans mount?? now the raditor, i have one that is pretty fat 3 core by the looks of it through the rad cap. it is a direct bolt in to the z with a big electric fan do you guys think this will be sufficent for cooling? one last q how do you wire up the alt, there is 6 wires coming out of it. thanks for your thim guys. also does any body know when asils site will be completed??

My motor mounts are different than Alsil's but I think our engines are similarly placed. My transmission mount is similar to the one in the JTR manual. Its made 3/16" x 4" flat stock that is bent as follows:

___ ___

/ /

____/ _______/ ____

The two flat sections on the ends go under the floor pan and butt against the inside of the floor supports. Each side has four bolts that go though the floor, and through a doubler plate inside the car. The two humps allow the exhaust to sit level with the floor pan. I believe they are 3" tall by 4.5" wide(at bottom). The Ford rubber tranny mount sits on the center flat section, and is centered left two right.

I use a 280z 3 core radiator in my set-up. It keeps the car plenty cool. I am also using the 5.0L clutch fan driven by the motor. The Datsun radiator requires long hoses(the inlet and outlet are on the wrong sides).

I deleted my power steering pump, A/C, Smog(I only drive the alternator, and water pump. I still have the 5.0L reverse rotation pump. I would switch to the forward rotation pump to simplify the belts. If you don't you will need to catch the belt with a tensioner on the driver's side of the motor.

Make certain you get the smaller 5.0L starter(89 and earlier had a huge starter that won't clear the headers(91? and later use a mini starter that is much smaller and lighter).

I use Dynomax blockhugger headers. Some of the others are using different brands. Whichever you decide on, I suggest using the copper header and flange gaskets.

Good Luck,

Dan McGrath

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I used only the Alternator and the water pump in my mustang and I kept the reverse water pump without moving the tensioner at all. What you have to do is get the proper size belt and run it around the alt. pulley, around the crank pulley and then under the water pump pulley like it is supposed to be then you have the tensioner pulled off and you run the belt around the tensioner pulley and install the tensioner with it all the way "sprung". If you get the belt length right it will be hard to install the tensioner and the belt will be tight and won't slip. There are pics on my website, but appearantly that is down right now. But it is at http://turbostang.tripod.com