HybridZ

T. Oxandale

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I would like to contact Terry. I need info regarding where to find spherical end linls that are 9/16 female ends for the Ford power rack and pinion conversion. I live in a small town in AZ and the local supplier says they don't make 'em as you had been told originally and later discovered "they" do make them.

Brian

Since that time, The only ones I did find were in a male version, with a 9/16" head, so this still left me no better off than where I already was (which was a home made 9/16"nf to 1/2"nf adapter). I made the adapters by cutting the threaded portion of the OEM Ford tie rod end off the rod end, then carefully welding a 1/2"nf stud into one end of it. The new adapters have the 9/6" female & 1/2" male threads now.

I took steel spacer (it was ~1/2" ID, and ~5/8" OD, and cut ~1/2" long. Then I ground and then filed it to make a tappered sleeve that would fit into the knuckle, making the hole straight. When I was racing the car, I never used the above sleeves. I only made the sleeves as an added precaution for the street. With that said, the grade 8, 1/2" bolt WITH grade 8 washers on both sides of the knuckle made for an extemely reliable assembly. It was not a sloppy fit and it never loosened up. Looking back now, I would say that to make the sleeves was really just overkill.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info Terry. I'm going to drill out and tap a 1/2" female spherical end to 9/16" and use the grade #8 1/2" bolt. I had another idea to find short datsun female tie-rod ends and drill and tap them out to 9/16 and theu would possibly fit the steering knuckle.

Brian