HybridZ

RB26/Z31 turbo tranny question

EZpickenZ

Has anyone actually done the RB26 bell housing swap on a Z31 Turbo tranny? the only information i can find is on the Z32 tranny. I have searched, but if the info is out there i have been looking in the wrong location. If anyone has used/swapped bells on the Z31 tranny please point me in the right direction.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I have finished swapping the RB bell on the 87-89 Z31 turbo trany. It was a whole lot easier than I thought it would be. I read the pinned discussion on the Z32 RB25 trans swap…I was good until I got down to cutting the gear box up. So here is the RB to 87-89 Z31 turbo trany bell swap for dummies.

To start unbolt front cover and remove with a little bit of persuasion. Just be sure not to damage the mating surface.

Then you need to remove the piece (I don’t know what to call it) at the top of the bell (red arrow). Be careful not to lose the ball and spring at the end of the piece. I ended up dropping one of the balls and it was caught by the magnet on the drain plug. Once the piece is out you can remove the bolts holding the bell onto the gear box (yellow arrows).

From there you remove the bell, again with some persuasion from a rubber mallet. Be sure not to damage the mating surface. Both the RB bell and VG bell come off the same way and can be put back on the same way. Be sure to use the front cover from the RB with the RB Bell. The openings for the clutch fork are in different locations and you will have to keep the front cover and bell together. You should use the gasket from the RB/Z31 front cover. They look exactly alike.

post-12900-012886200 1338331618_thumb.jpg

post-12900-040711000 1338331626_thumb.jpg

post-12900-002693100 1338331634_thumb.jpg