HybridZ

Suspension related however not the Z

Hope ya'll don't mind this question being about my daily driver.

It's an 06 Saturn Ion Redline FWD with 95000 miles. The extreme inside edge of the tires is wearing more quickly than the rest of the tire. At 75000 miles I noticed the tires were really noisy and I found the shocks needing replacement, at this point they had caused cupping on the extreme inside edge. Now after 20000 miles with new OEM shocks the cupping has disappeared by becoming round again. I believe this extreme inside edge is still wearing excessively fast however it may be a result of the accelerated wear from the original worn shocks. Tires are rotated every 6000 mi. The tires currently on the front are worn more severely than the rears leading me to believe the problem is the front end of the car and the accelerated wear is continuing with good shocks. Please see attached pics.

Alignment measures

LF RF

-1.25 Camber -1.0

4.0 Caster 3.5

0 toe 0

Front end is non adjustable. Yes I can get strut bolts with a cam at the knuckle or follow the FSM which says to elongate the holes in the strut slightly if needed.

post-2898-054819700 1335626654_thumb.jpg

post-2898-029821600 1335626684_thumb.jpg

post-2898-032240800 1335626707_thumb.jpg

From what I see:

Slight over inflation, more wear in very center.

Outside edge wear, hard cornering, and or toe in.

Inside edge wear, toe out,and or negative camber.

Or a combination of the above.

This assumes you have maintained the same tire pressure over

the life of the tire.

If they were run low for a while, you will wear both inside and outside

edges simultaneously.

The front tires on a FWD car always take the worst beating/wear,

even if the alignment is perfect.

They don't look bad for 40,000 miles, considering

your "at" the thread wear indicators.

What are the DESIRED Factory Specs for toe and camber??

Edited by jasper

Factory specs

-0.9 +- 0.75 camber

3.5 caster

I think toe is allowed -0.1to 0.1, away from the FSM untill tomorrow.

Can some one illustrate if under acceleration the front tires will toe in or out?

Seems like I may want to increase toe in.

Thanks for all of the reply's

Your not going to get major tire wear from accelerating or decelerating.

Looks like the tires are wearing from hard cornering / making fast turns, As was said previously. 40-50k on tires is a good amount of mileage. I think your seeing a major problem with your tires when it is a normal condition. I would recommend taking corners, off ramps and so on at slower speeds. Keep the tires inflated at proper levels, have the front end alignment done once a year. Make sure who does your alignments, gives you a copy of the alignment after it has been performed.

I have seen full sized trucks wear tires in 15k miles just from taking corners and off ramps at fast speeds. The tire actually tries to peel itself off the rim, becomes choppy, and or will wear smooth on the edges.