HybridZ

300zx which tranny is the best

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i have talked to a couple of people on putting a 5.0 in my 300 zx i am needing some for info...i was told to put 5 peed tranny and motor from like a mustang and it would work but i need to know how hard it is?what do i do about cross member? and does the shifter line up with the hole in the body? any info would be nice!

Guest tom sixbey

what year 300zx? I would be concerned about the location of the engine in relation to the firewall - that will ultimately determine the shifter location in the console. Its tough enough in a 280zx v8 swap, so i doubt it will be any easier in the 300, but i cant say for sure. If i were you i'd find a lighter platform for the swap. The madness of a early zcar V8 swap is about the light weight moreso than the power. You can put a STOCK 5.0 and 5 speed in a 240 and run a 13.2 on street tires. in a 300, you'd have more weight to drag around... not trying to shoot you down or nothing, but it will be harder to swap a 300zx because of the lack of help available for it...