HybridZ

Inner tie rods

I'm rebuilding the front suspension and steering on my 71 240. The PO had two new front outer tie rods, and one front inner tie rod...or at least that's what they told me. However...when I pulled the front tie rods off this is what I found:

IMAGE_D1ABF883-7E6C-4DC7-9027-26BEF7CE73A7.JPG

Something tells me these aren't the tie rods I'm looking for. So I went ahead and ordered a new pair from RockAuto, however they were the exact same length! So the question begs...do I have some bizarre mutant steering rack, or does RockAuto not know the correct inner tie rods to use?

The dopes at Rock Auto can't get it right.

I also ordered the inners ( from Rock Auto)....years ago..same result.

They paid return shipping, but never fixed the listing!!

Do a search, there is info and options.

The dopes at Rock Auto can't get it right.

I also ordered the inners ( from Rock Auto)....years ago..same result.

They paid return shipping, but never fixed the listing!!

Do a search, there is info and options.

I've checked just about every parts site I know of (z-specific and other), and run through 20+ pages of several different searches and I'm still having trouble finding a source for these. MSA lists them on their site, but they're N/A...so far those are the only one's I've found. I'm mostly searching on terms like "tie rod" and "inner tie rod"...is there another name for these guys?

I ran into the same issue; I purchased inner tie rods by a company named 'Rare Parts'. They only have the inner driver side, but that isn't an issue since I am running custom outer tie rods. Part# is 26575

I have put less than 100 miles on them, so no real comments on their durability.

I ran into the same issue; I purchased inner tie rods by a company named 'Rare Parts'. They only have the inner driver side, but that isn't an issue since I am running custom outer tie rods. Part# is 26575

I have put less than 100 miles on them, so no real comments on their durability.

Thanks for the info! :) It's interesting that they only have the drivers side...from what I've read (at least in the past) the right side was easier to find, so a lot of folks were running two right-side inners with two right-side outers. I suppose the same thing could be done just using two left inners and two left outers (using these). I think for now I'm just going to try and re-use the inners and see how it goes.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what oil/lubricant is used on the ball end of the inner tie rods? There's a little packet of it with the inner tie rods I have (which I'm returning) and looking at the old one there's an oil there that isn't the normal grease that's used to lubricate anything. It's much thinner and yellow/brown. I'd rather just get a bottle off the shelf than have to use the packets from the new tie rods and not be able to return them.