HybridZ

Clutch Help PLZ

To start off...I've got:

-Gen 1 block

-93-97 LT1 T56

-Zoom clutch part# ZZZ-HP70043-1 and T/O bearing (that came with it)(Pull-Type)

-Centerforce flywheel part# CTF-700107

-Ram Pilot bearing

All comonents are brand new with 0 miles

All hydraulics are good (no air and function normally)

***The problem is that I can not disengage the clutch to shift into any gear when the engine is running. All gears shift fine when the car is off.

I've proven a couple things in the system.

1) I removed the aluminum housing that the slave attaches to and reinstalled the slave so there is an opening to look through. I started the car and had a friend press the clutch pedal. The arms on the clutch pull back like they are supposed to, however I am unsure about how far they are supposed to move. I am seeing about ~3/4" to ~1" of travel of the T/O bearing.

2) I manufactured an adjustable slave cylinder rod to "extend" the range of the clutch fork past the non adjustable slave rod normal length. I would adjust it out by 1/4" increments and press the clutch pedal again with the engine running and it would still not disengage. I eventually entended it to the point that the fork arm would come in contact with the clutch and I would then hear the not so sweet sound of metal on metal. And it still would not disengage.

I am thinking that I either have the wrong T/O bearing, a stuck disc, incorrect fork (which also came with the tranny) or incorrect clutch.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

I had a similar problem with a XTR clutch and pressure plate, no matter how far I extended the rod the dang thing would not work. So I went and bought a new clutch slave and master, still did not travel further then 1". The only thing I could figure was it was the new pressure plate had to be the problem, change it back to stock pressure plate with the new clutch and everything worked.

It's good to hear that I am not the only one with the same issue. I was wondering if it was possibly mispackaged from Zoom. That clutch is supposed to be compatible with a 93-97 camaro, the difference it that they use a different flywheel because they mount to a Gen 2 or 3 block, I forget, but nun the less not a Gen 1.

You think that there was to much clamping force or maybe the arms were not fully retracting? Before I go and spend more money, what year pressure plate did you go with? You said stock but that is stock for a 93-97 camaro?

Thanks for your help!!

Edited by kk240

Before you think about going the route I did maybe you should also know that when I pressed in my clutch it was hard to push all way to the floor using all my might. I have been in cars with 500lb or 750lb clutches, but what I was feeling was no where close, if I had to guess, it would of been in the range of 1500lb for how much force was required to press the pedal to the floor. So my issue was to much clamping force yours might not be that if it is not hard to push in the clutch. I would recommend calling Zoom and double checking they sent you the right stuff.

Edited by nash542001

It's possible the clutch disc is installed backwards. Most LT1 clutches do not say which is the correct side to place towards the engine (mine didn't). I believe if you have it backwards the clutch will not disengage properly.