HybridZ

Ford "truck" 302 questions

Hello guys,

I know this is probably not the place to ask a question like this but it the only place I know that will give you quick reliable answers to questions so here goes.

Besides my Z-8 project I have a 1971 Ford F-100 with a 302 and a automatic C-4 tranny. Now I have had the engine rebuilt (totally stock) and it just doesn't seem to get up and go like I thought it would. I have dual exhaust with 2 chamber flow masters. It also doesn't want to crank that easy after you have drove it for a while and shut it off. The engine has to be turned over several times before it will crank.

What mods could I do to make it get up and go and also be more reliable when cranking while hot? Any help will be appreciated.

Oh and also, I have considered putting a 302 in my Z but know that right now no one sells a kit for it so I will go with the SBC instead, thanks guys in advance :D

Guest fordguy57

A tight new motor is typically not a powerhouse.

I have had SBC that was same (lame right after rebuild, bored, 3/4 cam, etc; yet stock 289 beat me). And car wanted to run hot all the time for first couple weeks. Had to add a coolant additive ("KeepKool" -don't know if it is sold anymore..)

But a year later the motor had loosened up and it went for many years and outlasted several chassis). Anyway, give your motor some time to loosen up and don't run it too hard in the inerim. Also double check timing, do compression test, vacuum test & things you would do just to trouble-shoot any weak-performing motor. Lot of things can be wrong after major work, sometimes simple as cracked vacumm hose, weak fuel pump, etc.. But, high motor temp tells me it is still not broken in and if it's not running lean from fuel restriction or vacuum leak (plu's white?), then just give it some time. It'll improve considerably.. Also change oil if you have not already as hotness also accompanied by microscopic

metal shavings being created while breaking in and don't need those abrasives in motor..

Hi, I must have mislead you when I said "hot" The truck never runs hot. I meant to say that when you drive it say for at least 20-30 minutes and shut it off to go into a store or something it doesn't start up as easy and you have to crank the engine over several times.

The engine was rebuilt over a year ago and I haven't noticed any change in performance over this time. It actually runs the same as it did before the rebuild when it had over 100,000 miles on the engine.

It cranks fine when you start it for the first time in the day or after it has sat a while. Again it never runs hot.

Guest fordguy57

I had the same thing happen years ago with a 65 Fairlane.The cause was an extremely worn bushing at one end of starter (almost oblong..). It started easily cold, but once warmed up it would hardly even turn over..