HybridZ

Motor Plate

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

How's it going guys? I'm new here, I have to say this is a killer message board. I plan to install a 302 into my 77 280Z, and I'm wondering if it would be any easier to mount with a motor plate instead of mounts. Has anyone here installed one that way? I'd really like to know the advantages/disadvantages. Thanks

blueovalz(Terry Oxandale) installed his 302 with front and rear engine plates. I'm not real clear on what the advantages/disadvantages are at this point. I do know that it would make for a much stronger setup. I'm sure he will jump in and explain the details. You can see pictures of his install at http://www.fototime.com/inv/5AD13CAF9177541. Click on the engine link on the left to see them. You might also look at the other pics he's got there. That's one sweet car! 2thumbs.gif

Gene

Guest JAMIE T

BlueOvalZ's (Terry Oxandale) car has its 302 mounted with moter plates(front and rear). It's all mounted solid with no rubber motor mounts.

Guest Anonymous

That is a sweet set-up! That really helps with my decision. I was leaning toward the plate anyway. I don't think I'll use the rear engine plate, but I bet that thing makes engine swaps a breeze. (when you like nitrous as much as I do engine swaps are bound to happen sooner or later) Thanks a lot guys!

The advantages of plates are room for headers where the mounts would normally be, the front plate rests on top of the OEM engine mount pedestals, and if you used both front & rear plates, and tranny solid mounts, then the drivetrain becomes a stressed member.

The disadvantages are that slight modifications to front of motor if plate is between the cover and the block and some increased vibration inside of car. I was looking for a strenght and rigidity increase in my chassis, and this was the deciding factor in the method I chose.

Guest Anonymous

I appreciate your reply! I haven't started the actual work yet, I'm still gathering parts and planning. I kinda had the feeling there would be more vibration with the solid mounts. Is vibration a big problem with V8 Z cars? I'm willing to put up with lot, because although the car will see a lot of street duty, it won't be my daily driver. Thanks a lot, I'll be picking up a motor plate smile.gif

This was not a balanced motor when it was still in the car (well, I should say it was the "factory" balance, which is a good guess at best) and the vibration problem was not bad. Personally, I felt the noise and resonance from the exhaust was much more objectionable. I going back in with a balanced 289 set-up, and am looking foward to compare the difference.

Guest Drewz

I am running a solid 350 chev with a plate and rubber trans mount and the vibration is minimal. The car is super tight and the power transfer is the best IMO!! A little info......my cam is 292 292 520 with 11.0-1 compression and an automatic. I wouldn't change to mounts for anything!! Just my $0.02 rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

I've always read that the vibration is pretty bad in V8 Zs, I'm glad to hear that maybe it's exaggerated(sp) I will definitely be going with a front motor plate, and I'll probably use the rubber trans mount like Drewz does. Blueovalz I really like your car from the pics I've seen. Although mine won't be as nice, I'm hoping for a nice piece when I'm done. I promised myself that I would take my time on this. so I think the end result will be better than some of my other street/ strip projects. In the past when I got close to finishing I got sloppy because I couldn't wait to get back to the track smile.gif

Where could I buy a front motor plate? I am going to be puting in a 351W. I am wanting to use a front motor plate. Would Jegs sell them. I thought I saw some in one of thier mags. I think they were the kind that bolted to the front of the heads. It was a two piece set up. One for each side. Would that alone be strong enough to hold the engine in place? Any help would be great.

Guest Anonymous

JWINK25

Yeah Jeg's sells motor plates. The ones that are most popular, bolt between the block and the timing chain cover on small fords. The plates that Jeg's and Summit sell are from Competition Engineering. You're right blueovalz, I need to get to work smile.gif As a matter of fact, I'm starting today!