HybridZ

Question regarding a T3 Turbocharger rebuild

I'm in the process of a turbo swap in my 280z, and I have a turbo that's in pieces.

I've been trying to find guides on rebuilding it, but have failed to find any that are good.

Does anyone have a complete break down and rebuild of the turbo charger?

Also, where could I get a rebuild kit for this turbo? it's from an '82 280zx turbo.

• 1 month later...

I just rebuilt my first turbo ever and it was a stock T3 off of a 1982 280ZX.

It's really straightforward like anything else on a car, pay attention to everything you take off and keep as many nuts and bolts as possible, and mark or scribe the turbine fins along with the shaft in case you wind up re-using them.

There's no need to re-balance them (in my humble opinion). 50% of the folks in here will tell you to do it or seek the wrath of God, the other 50% will tell you its ok without the re-balance.

If the turbines are in really good shape when they come off, and you mark exactly where they were (in relation to the shaft) when you took them off............you definitely do not need to re-balance them but that's your decision.

Here is a link to a cat that rebuilt his and it's a pretty good template for you. http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=11208

The biggest pain in the butt is getting all the old studs, bolts, and nuts off without breaking them off inside the housings (good luck). If you do there's a guy up in Canada that will sell you a brand new housing for a very good price (but he'll nag you to death to let him do the rebuild for you)

Good Luck, it's really not that hard....

P.S. One more thing, don’t be a sap like a lot of other cats that rebuild their turbo’s and put them back together with all the rust & gunk still on them. If you’re going to go through all that trouble of tearing it apart and rebuilding it, paint the darn thing with some really good high temp paint like POR 20 to dress it up.

Edited by Neveragain55