HybridZ

a charged dilemma

ok i have a 77 datsun bone stock from what i can tell minus some missing parts but runs. my current issue is driving me nuts. i keep poping the fuse that goes from the fuse box to the regulator. and im not sure why. i took the altinator to A.Z. (auto zone) to have it tested it past so i replaced the regulator thinking that that was the reasion it stop charging. to my suprise i was wrong i had poped the fuse in the fuse box. easy fix right so i robbed a fuse from SOC MATADOR z that sitting in my garage waiting for him to finish it up... SHH dont tell him... well that fuse was a diffrent amprage fuse and i poped it too. from what ive seen with my test light is i have voltage at the fuse bord untill i turn lights on then it goes dark on all circuts except the main circuts. any way when its running with my jump box on it charges at 13.2v normal the moment i take it off it goes to 15v way too high. and if i rev up the engine it blows the regulator fuse. has any one had this issue before i want to fix it for as little as i can i know how to do most of the work just getting cought up in my electracal fog can some one point me in the right direction.

Ok well I'm back again trying to figer this out. Today I by chance noticed one of my fuse able links was getting rather hot compared to the others. So I go to make a new one then I noticed a 40 amp fuse for my 240 sx next to my electrical connectors and 2 blades that fit it perfectly. So naturally I cut out the fusable link connection and install my fuse instead. Yay my first modification to my s30. Well I start it back up. And yah no charging. Look at the number 4 fuse and it blew (again). So I replace it unfortunately for me I only have 30 amp replacements on hand. So I start it up fuse doesn't blow this time. And my charging system stabilized as long as I had a good battery hooked up to it. But then I lost the charge when I revved it up. This ordeal is driving me nuts. Can some one please help? I have searched the fourm for a similer issue but didn't see any like this one.

Edited by Driftinrican

I would suspect these three things first:

regulator

alternator

sense wire

I wouldn't keep swapping out fuses and fusible links for higher rated ones, they are there to prevent damage so you might end up frying your wiring harnesses

The fuse for the regulator also powers the turn signal, reverse lights, and meters (not the tach). Make sure these curcuits are working properly.

The field winding current is supplied through this fuse. Perhpas the field current is too high. Measure the resistance of the field coil. It should be about 2 ohms.

15 volts is actually ok. The spec in the manual allows from 14.3 to 15.3 volts at 68 degrees F.