HybridZ

S30 240z Clutch master cylinder & slave cylinder upgrade?

Hey there team, just browsing around the cite and google and zdriver/hybridz and found a few threads about this being done and a few pictures of the comparison of the parts appereance wise while doing replacements of worn out or faulty parts, however I found no information regarding if there are any advantages or benefits or IF it is even considered an actual UPGRADE to replace S30 clutch master cyl & or Slave cyl with that of the 280zx/(turbo)

doing basic upgrades on my 72 currently with an L28et & T5 tranny and 77 Z31 CLSD, planning on spicing up the drivetrain with a better clutch and flywheel not too long from now so figure i could address the cheap/ economic upgrades.

Feedback?

Edited by superduner

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this will help but I have a 72 240z with an SR20DET and lately the shifting hasn't been normal. I deduced the problem to having a leak some where in the clutch fluid assembly thats not holding enough pressure to disengage the clutch fully. I've noticed fluid inside the firewall where the master-cylinder rod comes into the car and there were a few drips under the car I think are from the slave cylinder. I've decided to just replace both, and so I'm now searching for an upgrade for the master cyl and thats how I found your post.

Now I am pretty good with cars but I'm no mechanic so I called my friends shop and talked to his tranny tech. and the advice he gave me was to get an upgraded master cyl because if it can hold more pressure it will be better than a stock 240z one because I need more pressure for the stiffer clutch I have. So if you're getting an upgraded stiffer clutch there would be an advantage to upgrade because the new master cyl will not be pushed to the point of leaking and pressure loss.

The advantage of doing the upgrade at the same time as a new clutch instal is you only need to bleed once and you can sell your still well working 240z master cyl. It's been years though that I've been using the stock clutch master cyl so if you don't want to do it I'm sure you'd be fine for a while or maybe forever. But in my opinion I'd just do it at the same time as your clutch upgrade before you're like me and one day you're just driving and can't get the car into first or reverse without jamming it into gear while the clutch is still partially engaged. Now I can't drive my baby till I can find a suitable clutch master cyl, and a stock slave cyl. So I hope this helps and if you know good upgrades for the master cyl I'd appreciate it.

yeah i was inquiring about this myself hence the post.. i just bled the clutch master cyl and slave cyl and when i press the pedal it feels flimsy, like its not pushing as much as it should and barely engaging. just wanted to see what upgrades (if any) were commonly done to S30's