HybridZ

a few questions before starting

Guest theredhorseman

Guest theredhorseman

ok, I'm new here and have a couple of questions. first, to do a swap I am wanting to take my 5.0 out of my mustang(efi, cobra intake, gt40p heads) and drop it into a zcar probably a 240 but I'm looking at 280's also. I already know that I am going to buy the install kit from motorsport auto(whenever my darn catalog get is anyway) and I am going to put a wc t5 behind this motor.

so: what other things am I going to need? I'm aware of custom exaust, driveshaft and whatnot. do I need to put a new differential in? (I'm thinking about adding a blower) if so, where would I get a decent donor (Z31, Z32, Vette?) and any other tips you guys might deem helpful.

one more thing, for emissions on a 280xz, what do I need to run, just a cat? or what other things might there be? this will be a arizona car, but I want to run CA emmissions just to stay clear

anyway thanks for the help

For the most part, The R200 differential used in the 280Z/280ZX is strong enough for just about any reasonable V8 application. This is a very simple swap, but a more important consideration is the half-shafts. A common swap here is to use the 280ZX turbo CV-jointed halfshafts instead of the U-jointed shafts (the CV jointed shafts handle the mis-alignment angles better than the U-joints under extreme torque). There have been two main approaches to the CV-jointed halfshaft install if you decide this is the set-up you want to use. Once you get into a blower, and very wide and sticky tires, you may want to consider other options like the R230, the vette rear end (at least one of our members has done a good job with this) or a live axle set-up. Once you make the step up beyond a N/A SB, then the fabrication and complexity go up exponentially. As far as your second project with the 280ZX, I am unfamilar with the emmisions laws in AZ are. Perhaps one of the AZ members can chime in here.

Guest theredhorseman

ok, thanks for the info

the law states that for an engine swap that the engine must be newer than the car, and that the car must retain all original emissions equipment. my question was what emmisions equipment came on the z from the factory

oh and a fyi - there is no install kit for a ford as of yet..

i have been considering one but just in the process of seeing if its viable to do , likely with a x-member and needs a hiem in the steering etc. lots of pics online and search thru here for more details